A manticore was a large, magical beast with the body of a lion, dragon-like wings, and a somewhat humanoid head. Its long tail had a cluster of deadly spikes, which the creature could launch at its foes as weapons. It had incredibly tough claws and fangs.
Manticores were known to be savage man-eaters and allies of evil creatures. Manticores were intelligent creatures and often worked beside other evil beings to bring strife and suffering to the world.
Manticores were true monsters. They were giant beasts with the bodies of lions, the wings of a dragon, the head of a man, and a tail that ended in a mass of deadly spikes. The mouth of a manticore was full of rows and rows of razor-sharp teeth, similar to a great white shark. It used these teeth to feed upon any creature the manticore could catch, be it animal or human.
Some manticores had tail spikes that carried lethal or paralytic venom. Often, these manticores would have tails that were similar in appearance to that of a scorpion's stinger.
Manticore hide was used for furniture such as chairs.
- Video Games
- Curse of the Azure Bonds
- Gateway to the Savage Frontier
- Neverwinter Nights: Shadows of Undrentide
- Treasures of the Savage Frontier
- Spike Y. Jones (April 1993). “The Ecology of the Manticore”. In Roger E. Moore ed. Dragon #153 (TSR, Inc.), pp. 56–59, 92–93.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 Wizards RPG Team (2014). Monster Manual 5th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 213. ISBN 978-0786965614.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 Skip Williams, Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook (July 2003). Monster Manual 3.5. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 79–80. ISBN 0-7869-2893-X.
- ↑ Doug Stewart (June 1993). Monstrous Manual. (TSR, Inc), p. 246. ISBN 1-5607-6619-0.
- ↑ Gary Gygax (December 1977). Monster Manual, 1st edition. (TSR, Inc), p. 65. ISBN 0-9356-9600-8.
- ↑ Elaine Cunningham (November 2003). Rite of Blood (The Best of the Realms). (Wizards of the Coast). ISBN 0-7869-3024-1.
- ↑ Dave Gross (February 2003). Lord of Stormweather. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 11. ISBN 0-7869-2932-4.