Description[edit | edit source]
Alaghi were large, fur-covered humanoids. They had large chests and shoulders, with strong arms that reached to their knees. Both their hands and feet were large, with fingers and toes ending in claws.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
Alaghi were incredibly stealthy creatures. This was due to their skill in moving in almost complete silence and in blending into their surroundings. Some elderly alaghi had the ability to cast some clerical spells.
Personality[edit | edit source]
Combat[edit | edit source]
When forced into combat, alaghi were adept fighters. Alaghi hunters were trained to use stone knives, the handaxe and javelins. Without weapons, an alaghi was still a threat, due to their strength and massive muscular fists.
Society[edit | edit source]
Most alaghi lived in semi-nomadic tribes. They had respect for nature and were capable of living in a way that minimized any damage to nature. Their nomadic lifestyle followed the seasonal migration patterns of the animals they hunted, as well as the growing season of wild plants they used. The alaghi language was comprised of hisses, hoots and grunting.
Rarely, a tribe of alaghi decided to permanently settle in a bountiful area. They build simple huts or lived within large caves. The tribe was often led by an elder alaghi. These sedentary alaghi eventually became quite different from their nomadic counterparts. They grew more aggressive and greedy, lacking any respect for nature and even attacking and eating other sentient beings. Sedentary alaghi were able to speak common.
Even rarer, an alaghi became a hermit. This happened usually when the individual was middle-aged. They were more good aligned and intelligent then their fellow alaghi. As hermits, they lived a life of contemplative solitude, becoming vegetarians and philosophers. Hermit alaghi lived harmoniously with nature and gained all the powers of a high-level druid, and were capable of communicating with animals. Hermit alaghi were likely the best chess players one could find on Toril.
Ecology[edit | edit source]
Alaghi lived in forests and mountains. Alaghi tribes are frequently encountered along the Sword Coast, as far north as the Neverwinter Wood and as far south as the Forest of Tethir. They could also found living within the Omlarandin Mountains, the Forest of Lethyr, the Dragonjaw Mountains, the Thesk Mountains, and the Yuirwood.
Notable Alaghi[edit | edit source]
Appendix[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- James Wyatt and Rob Heinsoo (February 2001). Monster Compendium: Monsters of Faerûn. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 14–15. ISBN 0-7869-1832-2.
- David Cook (1991). Monstrous Compendium Forgotten Realms Appendix (MC11). (TSR, Inc), p. 4. ISBN l-56076-111-3.
- Bill Slavicsek (1993). The Complete Book of Humanoids. (TSR, Inc), p. 19. ISBN 1-5607-6611-5.
- Eric L. Boyd (July/August 1998). “Sleep of Ages”. In Christopher Perkins ed. Dungeon #69 (Wizards of the Coast), p. 55.
- Richard Baker, Matt Forbeck, Sean K. Reynolds (May 2003). Unapproachable East. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 90. ISBN 0-7869-2881-6.
- Richard Baker, Matt Forbeck, Sean K. Reynolds (May 2003). Unapproachable East. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 94. ISBN 0-7869-2881-6.