Calishite Alzhedo was a regional tongue of Southwest Faerûn, and the main language of Calimshan. Other regions where it was commonly spoken included: Amn, Chult, the Lake of Steam, Lapaliiya, Lantan, the Nelanther Isles, the Shaar, Tashalar, Tethyr, Waterdeep (among dwarves, elves, and gnomes), the Western Heartlands (among halflings and planetouched), the Wealdath, Tharsult, and the Old Shanatar region of the Underdark.
Common Alzhedo surnames included Basha, Dumein, Jassan, Khalid, Mostana, Pashar, and Rein.
Calishite Alzhedo was very closely related to Old Alzhedo, the language spoken on the Elemental Plane of Air, and this fact lends credence to the theory that the first civilizations in the Calimshan area were made up of travelers from that plane. Alzhedo was spoken at court, in all government and judicial proceedings, and throughout polite Calimshan society. It was a more guttural language than Old Alzhedo, and included many elements from Common, Dwarvish, and Elvish. The majority of Calishites speak the High Calidrian dialect.
- Steve Kenson, et al. (November 2015). Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. Edited by Kim Mohan. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 119. ISBN 978-0-7869-6580-9.
- Richard Baker, James Wyatt (March 2004). Player's Guide to Faerûn. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 11–31, Errata 1–2. ISBN 0-7869-3134-5.
- Ed Greenwood, Sean K. Reynolds, Skip Williams, Rob Heinsoo (June 2001). Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting 3rd edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 85. ISBN 0-7869-1836-5.
- Thomas M. Costa (1999). “Speaking in Tongues”. In Dave Gross ed. Dragon Annual #4 (TSR, Inc), pp. 24–29.
- Ed Greenwood, Sean K. Reynolds, Skip Williams, Rob Heinsoo (June 2001). Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting 3rd edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 12. ISBN 0-7869-1836-5.
- Scott Haring (1988). Empires of the Sands. (TSR, Inc). ISBN 0-8803-8539-1.
- Steven E. Schend and Dale Donovan (September 1998). Empires of the Shining Sea. (TSR, Inc), p. 53. ISBN 978-0786912377.