Animal growth was a transmutation or alteration spell that allowed the caster to double the size of one or more animals. The reverse of this spell, shrink animal, caused animals to shrink to half their size.
Casting this spell caused one or more animals to grow in size. This doubled each animal's height, length, and width, while increasing its weight by a factor of eight. This increase in size had a number of effects including making the creature more powerful but it also made the creature easier to attack. The creature's strength and hardiness were also increased. This spell did not affect Colossal sized creatures, although the reverse of this spell could.
When the spell ended, the creature's size and power returned to normal, and any injuries suffered by the creature were reduced in severity by half.
The caster gained no special ability to command or influence the affected animals.
- slade, James Butler (November 1996). Netheril: Empire of Magic (The Winds of Netheril). (TSR, Inc.), pp. 24, 27. ISBN 0-7869-0437-2.
- Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook, Skip Williams (July 2003). Player's Handbook v.3.5. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 190, 192, 194, 198. ISBN 0-7869-2886-7.
- Richard Baker, James Wyatt (March 2004). Player's Guide to Faerûn. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 90. ISBN 0-7869-3134-5.
- David "Zeb" Cook (August 1989). Player's Handbook (2nd edition). (TSR, Inc.), pp. 165, 221. ISBN 0-88038-716-5.
- David "Zeb" Cook (April 1995). Player's Handbook 2nd edition (revised). (TSR, Inc.), p. 280. ISBN 0-7869-0329-5.
- Sam Witt (January 1994). The Complete Sha'ir's Handbook. (TSR, Inc), p. 124. ISBN 978-1560768289.
- slade, James Butler (November 1996). Netheril: Empire of Magic (The Winds of Netheril). (TSR, Inc.), pp. 121–123. ISBN 0-7869-0437-2.
- Gary Gygax (1978). Players Handbook 1st edition. (TSR, Inc.), p. 60. ISBN 0-9356-9601-6.
- Gary Gygax, David Cook, and François Marcela-Froideval (1985). Oriental Adventures. (TSR, Inc), p. 87. ISBN 0-8803-8099-3.