Axe beaks were tall and aggressive flightless birds.
Description[edit | edit source]
Abilities[edit | edit source]
Behavior[edit | edit source]
Combat[edit | edit source]
Ecology[edit | edit source]
Flocks of axe beaks were also believed to be protective of their young, rushing to its aid in case of danger.
Appendix[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- In v.3.5 rules, both axebeaks and horses have the Run feat, which allows them to move five times their normal movement speed over flat, even terrain, but axebeaks have a speed 5 higher than that of a light horse. This calculates to 34 mph (55 km/h) for the horse and 37 mph (60 km/h) for the axebeak. At least five Faerûnian breeds—the Calimite, Chionthar, Dambraii, Lhesperan, and Raurin—could run faster than the axebeak, attaining maximum speeds of 40 mph (64 km/h).
For comparison, in the real world, some horses can reach speeds of over 50 mph (80 km/h), but v.3.5 consistently gives lower maximum speeds for animals, likely because the Monster Manuals include representatives of average specimens.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
See Also[edit | edit source]
Appearances[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford, Christopher Perkins (2014-09-30). Monster Manual 5th edition. Edited by Scott Fitzgerald Gray. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 317. ISBN 978-0786965614.
- Grant Boucher, Troy Christensen, Jon Pickens, John Terra and Scott Davis (1991). Arms and Equipment Guide. (TSR, Inc.), p. 83. ISBN 1-56076-109-1.
- David Cook, Steve Winter, and Jon Pickens (1989). Monstrous Compendium Volume Three Forgotten Realms Appendix (MC3). (TSR, Inc), p. 50. ISBN 0-88038-769-6.
- Gary Gygax (December 1977). Monster Manual, 1st edition. (TSR, Inc), p. 7. ISBN 0-9356-9600-8.
- Jeremy Crawford, Mike Mearls, Robert J. Schwalb, Adam Lee, Christopher Perkins, Matt Sernett (November 2017). Xanathar's Guide to Everything. Edited by Kim Mohan. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 25–26, 10, 102. ISBN 978-0-7869-6612-7.
- Christopher Perkins, Will Doyle, Steve Winter (September 19, 2017). Tomb of Annihilation. Edited by Michele Carter, Scott Fitzgerald Gray. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 194, 196. ISBN 978-0-7869-6610-3.
- Christopher Perkins, Jeremy Crawford (September 2017). The Tortle Package. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 5.
- (September 19, 2017). Tomb of Annihilation. Edited by . (Wizards of the Coast), p. 45. ISBN 978-0-7869-6610-3.
- (September 2017). The Tortle Package. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 10.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.