Banedead, also referred to as Claws of Xvim, Promised Ones or the Shriveled Dead of Bane, were a type of undead creatures that appeared in Faerûn for a brief time after the Time of Troubles. They were closely associated with the worship of the deity Bane and his church of followers.
Banedead appeared as decaying humanoid that were completely stripped of any appearance of natural life. After being risen, the corpse underwent a partial transformation befitting an undead servant of Bane. One of their hands grew and twisted into a horrific claw.
They were immune to spells and abilities that attempted to, hold them in place, put them to sleep, or charm them]. They could not be swayed by illusion magic, mind-altering effects or harmed by any sort of poison.
In battle, banedead always sought out holy champions as their first victims. While they preferred clerics and paladins above most others, the sight of Cyricists made them incensed. They tried to rend followers of the Dark Sun with intense fervor.
Banedead were created by means of a unique ritual that could only be lead by a powerful priest of Bane or his divine son Iyachtu Xvim, performed upon one of those deity's holy sites. They would transform a willing devotee into one of these terrifying undead monstrosities.
- James Wyatt and Rob Heinsoo (February 2001). Monster Compendium: Monsters of Faerûn. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 16. ISBN 0-7869-1832-2.
- John Terra (2003-05-03). A Call to Arms (Zipped PDF). Wizards of the Coast. p. 7. Archived from the original on 2016-11-01. Retrieved on 2018-09-11.
- Kevin Melka and John Terra (April 1995). Ruins of Zhentil Keep (Monstrous Compendium). (TSR, Inc), p. 1. ISBN 0-7869-0109-8.
- Kevin Melka and John Terra (April 1995). Ruins of Zhentil Keep (Adventure Book). (TSR, Inc), p. 63. ISBN 0-7869-0109-8.
- James Wyatt and Rob Heinsoo (February 2001). Monster Compendium: Monsters of Faerûn. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 17. ISBN 0-7869-1832-2.