Grand Duke Belt was one of the members of the Council of Four, the rulers of the city of Baldur's Gate. He served in this role during the years following in the Time of Troubles, in the mid–14th century DR.
Like his fellow dukes, Belt was taken in by the young and charismatic politician Sarevok Anchev, during the events of the iron crisis in the Year of the Banner, 1368 DR. However, unlike Dukes Eltan and Entar Silvershield, Belt came out of the events without suffering great personal harm.
In Uktar of that year, the War of the Shining Crusade threatened the entirety of the Sword Coast. Duke Belt and the rest of the Council offered their support to the growing Coalition army, which comprised soldiers from Baldur's Gate, Daggerford, and Waterdeep.
After the war, the young noblewoman Skie Silvershield was murdered in cold blood – a heinous crime that was attributed to the Hero of Baldur's Gate, Abdel Adrian. Duke Belt presided over Adrian's public trial, held in front of the Flaming Fist's city keep.
- Jeff Grubb and Ed Greenwood (1990). Forgotten Realms Adventures. (TSR, Inc), p. 76. ISBN 0-8803-8828-5.
- Ed Greenwood, Julia Martin, Jeff Grubb (1993). Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting 2nd edition (revised), A Grand Tour of the Realms. (TSR, Inc), p. 87. ISBN 1-5607-6617-4.
- BioWare (December 1998). Designed by James Ohlen. Baldur's Gate. Black Isle Studios.
- Beamdog (March 2016). Designed by Philip Daigle, et al. Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear. Beamdog.
- Ed Greenwood, Matt Sernett, Steve Winter (August 20, 2013). “Campaign Guide”. In Dawn J. Geluso ed. Murder in Baldur's Gate (Wizards of the Coast), p. 40. ISBN 0-7869-6463-4.