Blacklight was an evocation or alteration spell that created an area of magical darkness that only the caster could see through. This spell was also available as divine magic provided to priests of Ibrandul.
Blacklight was very similar to darkness with the exception that the caster could act and see normally while within the area of effect. Normal light sources were extinguished by blacklight, as well as lower-level light spells. Those outside the sphere of darkness, including the caster, could not see into the affected area. The older version of this spell created a stationary area while the newer version could be cast on a movable object if desired.
For the older version of blacklight, every minute spent inside the blacklit area allowed a creature a chance to overcome the blindness, but it was difficult, and even if they succeeded their sight returned for only one minute. Also, light, continual light, or dispel magic would dissipate the older blacklight.
- Ed Greenwood, Sean K. Reynolds, Skip Williams, Rob Heinsoo (June 2001). Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting 3rd edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 67. ISBN 0-7869-1836-5.
- Richard Baker, James Wyatt (March 2004). Player's Guide to Faerûn. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 85. ISBN 0-7869-3134-5.]
- Jeff Grubb and Ed Greenwood (1990). Forgotten Realms Adventures. (TSR, Inc), p. 48. ISBN 0-8803-8828-5.
- Julia Martin, Eric L. Boyd (March 1996). Faiths & Avatars. (TSR, Inc), p. 74. ISBN 978-0786903849.
- Jeff Grubb and Ed Greenwood (1990). Forgotten Realms Adventures. (TSR, Inc), p. 44. ISBN 0-8803-8828-5.