When the blackstaff struck a magical item or any person it dispelled magic and in the case of spellcasters, caused them to forget spells they had memorized. In some instances the it even disrupted the minds of individuals with psionic talents and drained a small amount of life force from beings it struck.
None of the effects of the blackstaff could harm the caster in any way.
This spell was created by Khelben "Blackstaff" Arunsun and was part of the reason why his common appellation was Blackstaff, as he carried a staff of power that had this spell cast on it with permanency.
The blackstaff spell was found in Laeral's Libram, a spellbook written by the wizard Laeral Silverhand. Laeral lost the spellbook sometime during her madness induced by the Crown of Horns, and it was not been seen since. Khelben only shared this spell with those he trusted implicitly.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Ed Greenwood (1993). The Code of the Harpers. (TSR, Inc), p. 48. ISBN 1-56076-644-1.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 Sean K. Reynolds, Duane Maxwell, Angel McCoy (August 2001). Magic of Faerûn. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 81. ISBN 0-7869-1964-7.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Ed Greenwood (1993). The Code of the Harpers. (TSR, Inc), p. 49. ISBN 1-56076-644-1.
- ↑ Ed Greenwood, Sean K. Reynolds, Skip Williams, Rob Heinsoo (June 2001). Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting 3rd edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 175. ISBN 0-7869-1836-5.
- ↑ Ed Greenwood, Tim Beach (1995). Pages from the Mages. (TSR, Inc), p. 71. ISBN 0-7869-0183-7.
- ↑ Eric L. Boyd (June 2005). City of Splendors: Waterdeep. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 152. ISBN 0-7869-3693-2.