Older versions of this spell created a deadly curtain that could be as small as 5 ft (1.5 m) square or as large as 60 ft (18.3 m) square. Newer versions capped the height at 20 ft (6.1 m) and the shape could be a straight wall or a circular barrier whose length or radius was dependent on the caster's level.
Any creature passing through the wall was harmed, although nimble creatures could avoid some of the blades from the newer version of the spell. If cast in an area already occupied, those quick enough could avoid the wall as it formed and be safely on whichever side they chose.
The barrier not only kept opponents at bay, but also provided some cover from ranged attacks that passed through it.
After the Sundering the spell changed to cover more area in ether a wall or a ringed wall. The straight wall could stretch 100 feet long (30,48 meters), 20 feet high (6.096 meters) and 5 feet thick (1.524 meters). The round wall could have up to 60 feet in diameter, 20 feet high and also 5 feet think.
- Card Games
- Spellfire: Master the Magic
- Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford (2014). Player's Handbook 5th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 207–211, 218. ISBN 978-0-7869-6560-1.
- Rob Heinsoo, Andy Collins, James Wyatt (June 2008). Player's Handbook 4th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 67. ISBN 0-7869-4867-1.
- Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook, Skip Williams (July 2003). Player's Handbook v.3.5. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 205. ISBN 0-7869-2886-7.
- Richard Baker, James Wyatt (March 2004). Player's Guide to Faerûn. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 88. ISBN 0-7869-3134-5.
- David "Zeb" Cook (August 1989). Player's Handbook (2nd edition). (TSR, Inc.), p. 227. ISBN 0-88038-716-5.
- David "Zeb" Cook (April 1995). Player's Handbook 2nd edition (revised). (TSR, Inc.), p. 288. ISBN 0-7869-0329-5.
- Cook, Findley, Herring, Kubasik, Sargent, Swan (1991). Tome of Magic 2nd edition. (TSR, Inc), pp. 152, 153. ISBN 1-56076-107-5.
- Richard Baker (1996). Player's Option: Spells & Magic. (TSR, Inc), pp. 186, 187. ISBN 0-7869-0394-5.
- Gary Gygax (1978). Players Handbook 1st edition. (TSR, Inc.), p. 51. ISBN 0-9356-9601-6.
- Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford (2014). Player's Handbook 5th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 218. ISBN 978-0-7869-6560-1.