Bracers of the blinding strike were a pair of magical bracers worn on the wrists.
Bracers of the blinding strike looked either like a pair of wrist guards or arm guards.
The bracers weighed 1 lb (0.45 kg).
In addition to serving as bracers of armor +6, the bracers gave the wearer excellent reaction time in battle and allowed them to attack more swiftly and more often. Originally, the latter two abilities were only usable by people with warrior training, with the acceleration power usable only three times per day. By 1372 DR, the bracers were improved to confer the abilities to anybody and the acceleration was permanent.
In 1357 DR, the drow weapon master Dantrag Baenre of Menzoberranzan wore bracers of the blinding strike. However, owing to the speed they imparted, Dantrag was unable to improvise during combat. The drow ranger Drizzt Do'Urden was able to exploit Dantrag's weakness, forcing him to stick to rote and practiced combinations, which allowed Drizzt to gain the upper hand.
In 1358 DR, Drizzt wore the bracers over his wrists to increase his attack speed, but due to the sudden lunging of his lightning-quick attacks, he soon realized they restricted and hampered his ability to adapt and improvise during any particular strike or defensive block, whereas normally he could change the direction, speed and angle mid-movement. Since he could not maneuver during any particular strike or defensive block, he moved the bracers to his legs to balance out his agile reflexes.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Ed Greenwood (July 1991). The Drow of the Underdark. (TSR, Inc), p. 76. ISBN 1-56076-132-6.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Sean K. Reynolds, Duane Maxwell, Angel McCoy (August 2001). Magic of Faerûn. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 155. ISBN 0-7869-1964-7.
- ↑ Brian R. James and Ed Greenwood (September, 2007). The Grand History of the Realms. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 142. ISBN 978-0-7869-4731-7.
- ↑ R.A. Salvatore (August 1994). Starless Night. (TSR, Inc), p. 310. ISBN 1-56076-880-0.
- ↑ R.A. Salvatore (November 2006). Siege of Darkness. (Wizards of the Coast).