Typically, flying carpets were beautifully and intricately made. They typically came in three sizes—a 5‑foot (1.5‑meter) square, a 5‑foot (1.5‑meter)-by-10‑foot (3‑meter) rectangle, and a 10‑foot (3‑meter) square.
Each carpet had its own command word to activate and could be controlled by spoken words, either from on top of the carpet or elsewhere within hearing range. The smallest size could carry 200 pounds (91 kilograms) and still function at optimal capacity. The largest size could carry an 800‑pound (360‑kilogram) load. Each carpet had a flying speed of 4 miles (6.4 kilometers) per hour. Each carpet had average maneuverability and could hover when not moving.
It was said that flying carpets were invented by Calishite or other southern mages as a magical means of transportation that did not involve planar magic since most Calishites were afraid of the latter magics.
Carpets of flying were very common in Calimshan as a method of transportation, as most Calishites avoided evocation magic. They could usually be purchased in Calimshan at a ten percent discount relative to other places in Faerûn. The Imperial Guard of the syl-pasha of Calimport owned five flying carpets with which they patrolled the region around his palace.
- Kane of the Monastery of the Yellow Rose
- Damlath, the "Laughing Mage" from Erlkazar
- Devane, the Helmite Bishop of Maztica
- The source has 10 lbs., but this must be a typographical error.
- Gary Gygax (August, 1985). Unearthed Arcana (1st edition). (TSR, Inc.), p. 86. ISBN 0880380845.
- Monte Cook, Jonathan Tweet, Skip Williams (July 2003). Dungeon Master's Guide v.3.5. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 252. ISBN 0-7869-2889-1.
- Rob Heinsoo, Andy Collins, James Wyatt (June 2008). Player's Handbook 4th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 254. ISBN 0-7869-4867-1.
- Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford, Christopher Perkins, James Wyatt (2014). Dungeon Master's Guide 5th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 157. ISBN 978-0786965622.
- Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook, Skip Williams (July 2003). Player's Handbook v.3.5. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 162. ISBN 0-7869-2886-7.
- Steven E. Schend and Dale Donovan (September 1998). Empires of the Shining Sea. (TSR, Inc), p. 62. ISBN 978-0786912377.
- Ed Greenwood, Sean K. Reynolds, Skip Williams, Rob Heinsoo (June 2001). Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting 3rd edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 155. ISBN 0-7869-1836-5.
- Reynolds, Forbeck, Jacobs, Boyd (March 2003). Races of Faerûn. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 82. ISBN 0-7869-2875-1.
- Steven E. Schend and Dale Donovan (September 1998). Empires of the Shining Sea. (TSR, Inc), p. 104. ISBN 978-0786912377.
- Steven E. Schend (October 1998). Calimport. (TSR, Inc), p. 51. ISBN 0-7869-1238-3.