This spell caused a loose item roughly the weight of a double-fist sized stone to move in the direction indicated by the spell caster. The item moved in a straight line[note 1] up to the range and/or for the duration of the spell and then dropped in place, unless it came in contact with something solid first. Depending on the nature of the missile and the target, and the speed at which it was hurled, damage could result.
No material components were required for this spell; only verbal and somatic, including pointing in the desired direction. The post-Second Sundering version of the spell required only somatic components.
- ↑ This spell's name is somewhat of a misnomer because a catapult is a ballistic weapon which launches items in a parabolic trajectory.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Jeremy Crawford, Mike Mearls, Robert J. Schwalb, Adam Lee, Christopher Perkins, Matt Sernett (November 2017). Xanathar's Guide to Everything. Edited by Kim Mohan. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 148–150. ISBN 978-0-7869-6612-7.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Jeff Grubb and Ed Greenwood (1990). Forgotten Realms Adventures. (TSR, Inc), p. 44. ISBN 0-8803-8828-5.
- ↑ Ed Greenwood, Tim Beach (1995). Pages from the Mages. (TSR, Inc), p. 50. ISBN 0-7869-0183-7.
- ↑ Curtis Scott (1992). The Complete Spacefarer's Handbook. Edited by Barbara G. Young. (TSR, Inc.), p. 106. ISBN 1-56076-347-7.