Cold iron was a type of iron mined deep underground. It was forged using a special process at lower temperatures than normal iron or steel in order to preserve its delicate properties. It was famed for its efficacy against fey creatures, and was also effective against eladrin and demons.
Notable Cold Iron Items
- Cold iron was known to be forged into thick manacles, used to restrain wizards, containing their magical abilities. Such manacles were also known to be used on fey, preventing them from teleporting.
- Monte Cook, Jonathan Tweet, Skip Williams (July 2003). Dungeon Master's Guide v.3.5. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 284. ISBN 0-7869-2889-1.
- Colin McComb (September 1997). Faces of Evil: The Fiends. Edited by Ray Vallese. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 51. ISBN 0-7869-3430-1.
- Ed Stark, James Jacobs, Erik Mona (June 13, 2006). Fiendish Codex I: Hordes of the Abyss. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 28–54. ISBN 0-7869-3919-2.
- James Wyatt, Darrin Drader, Christopher Perkins (October 2003). Book of Exalted Deeds. (TSR, Inc), pp. 168–171. ISBN 0-7869-3136-1.
- Obsidian Entertainment (November 2008). Designed by Tony Evans. Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir. Atari.
- Monte Cook, Jonathan Tweet, Skip Williams (July 2003). Dungeon Master's Guide v.3.5. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 226. ISBN 0-7869-2889-1.
- George Krashos (July 2007). “Volo's Guide: Renegades of Darkhold”. In Erik Mona ed. Dragon #357 (Paizo Publishing, LLC), p. 74.
- Jeff Grubb, Kate Novak (October 1988). Azure Bonds. (TSR, Inc.), p. 309. ISBN 0-88038-612-6.
- Rodney Thompson, Claudio Pozas, Steve Townshend (2011). Player's Option: Heroes of the Feywild. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 133. ISBN 978-0786958368.