A new member could join the Council by either replacing and old Lord or creating a new seat for the sum of two million gp. A new seat on the Council was permanent once created. When a member died a vote was held on who should fill the vacant seat.
All prospective candidates for the Council of Lords needed to meet the following requirements:
- They must be innocent of causing the death of a Council member.
- They must not associate with any of Melvaunt's enemies, particularly Zhentil Keep.
- They must show their support of the Council by offering a gift of 100,000 gp.
- Lord Envoy Dundeld Nanther
- Lord Chancellor Ghunduilith Leiyraghon
- Lord of the Waves Meldonder Nurian
- Lord of the Keys Halmuth Bruil