The area shrouded by this spell was 20 ft (6.1 m) in radius. The range and duration of this spell varied with the spellcasting tradition. The evocation school version required the caster to touch an object which then "radiated" darkness. The darkness could be blocked just like light by covering the dweomered object. The divine magic version of this spell could be cast from up to 120 yards (110 m) away and onto any object or just into the air. The effect remained in place unless cast upon a movable object, and was not blockable if cast on an area.
The post Second Sundering version could covered a 15 foot (4,5 meters) sphere around the intended target in order to attempt to cover it totally. Non-magical light did not prevail against the darkness and any light proving spell that was of lesser or the same level that entered the sphere was dispelled. The spell could not be circumvented with Darkvision.
The divine magic version of darkness required only verbal and somatic components to cast. The arcane version required a tuft of bat fur and either a drop of pitch or a small chunk of coal. The eyespot of a darkmantle could also be used as a material component.
- Darkness, 15' radius
- Continual darkness
- Shadow veil
- Continual light
- Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford (2014). Player's Handbook 5th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 207–211, 230. ISBN 978-0-7869-6560-1.
- Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook, Skip Williams (July 2003). Player's Handbook v.3.5. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 216. ISBN 0-7869-2886-7.
- Monte Cook, Jonathan Tweet, Skip Williams (July 2003). Dungeon Master's Guide v.3.5. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 181. ISBN 0-7869-2889-1.
- David "Zeb" Cook (August 1989). Player's Handbook (2nd edition). (TSR, Inc.), p. 201. ISBN 0-88038-716-5.
- David "Zeb" Cook (April 1995). Player's Handbook 2nd edition (revised). (TSR, Inc.), p. 255. ISBN 0-7869-0329-5.
- Cook, Findley, Herring, Kubasik, Sargent, Swan (1991). Tome of Magic 2nd edition. (TSR, Inc), p. 154. ISBN 1-56076-107-5.
- Richard Baker (1996). Player's Option: Spells & Magic. (TSR, Inc), pp. 186, 187, 188. ISBN 0-7869-0394-5.
- Gary Gygax (1978). Players Handbook 1st edition. (TSR, Inc.), p. 44. ISBN 0-9356-9601-6.
- Ed Greenwood, Eric L. Boyd (1996). Volo's Guide to All Things Magical. (TSR, Inc), p. 50. ISBN 0-7869-0446-1.
- Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford (2014). Player's Handbook 5th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 230. ISBN 978-0-7869-6560-1.
- Johnathan Richards (September 2000). “Creature Codex: The Ecology of the Darkmantle”. In Dave Gross ed. Dragon #275 (Wizards of the Coast), p. 99.