In terms of appearance, these magical darts appeared the same as ordinary darts. However, when thrown, the darts would multiply. The multiplied darts would then emit mad buzzing sounds, similar to that of hornets. Such a powerful weapon came at a very high cost, as a single dart cost approximately 7,500 gp.
Right after being launched, the dart would multiply and zoom towards the intended target. Generally, the more darts that were summoned, the lower chance they had of hitting. Up to twenty darts could be generated, causing an extraordinary amount of damage if the majority of them hit.
In the 14th century DR, a few organizations utilized these powerful darts. The Black Circle that had overtaken New Verdigris stored one of these darts in a highly guarded armory, as did the Silver Blades. A single dart of the hornet's nest was stashed in a black dragon lair in Dragons' Aerie, as well as on the second level of the Mages' Guild of Myth Drannor. The River's Heart magic shop of Neverwinter had a dart of the hornet's nest available for purchase, but it was very expensive.
- Video Games
- Curse of the Azure Bonds
- Secret of the Silver Blades
- Pools of Darkness
- Gateway to the Savage Frontier
- Eye of the Beholder III: Assault on Myth Drannor
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Gary Gygax (August, 1985). Unearthed Arcana (1st edition). (TSR, Inc.), pp. 88, 98. ISBN 0880380845.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Ed Greenwood, et al (1989). Hall of Heroes. (TSR, Inc), p. 119. ISBN 0-88038-711-4.
- ↑ Strategic Simulations, Inc. (1989). Designed by George MacDonald. Curse of the Azure Bonds. Strategic Simulations, Inc.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Strategic Simulations, Inc. (1990). Designed by David Shelley. Secret of the Silver Blades. Strategic Simulations, Inc.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Strategic Simulations, Inc. (1991). Designed by Ken Humphries, David Shelley. Pools of Darkness. Strategic Simulations, Inc.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Beyond Software, Inc. (1991). Designed by Don L. Daglow. Gateway to the Savage Frontier. Strategic Simulations, Inc.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Strategic Simulations, Inc. (1993). Eye of the Beholder III: Assault on Myth Drannor. Strategic Simulations, Inc.