Unlike ordinary pigs, dire boars were vicious and would attack any creature that approached.
Beyond Faerûn, dire boars were known to inhabit the moors, deciduous forests, and coniferous forests of the Moonshae Isles. As well as the land of Chult. In Anauroch, they could occasionally be found in the fertile areas of the Plain of Standing Stones.
Some humanoid races were known to domesticate dire boars, such as orcs and dwarves, the latter of which referred to their dire boar mounts as "thundertusks." However, domestication was a difficult process, and after being domesticated dire boars were still known to be quite fierce and dangerous.
Notable Dire Boars
- Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford, Christopher Perkins (2014-09-30). Monster Manual 5th edition. Edited by Scott Fitzgerald Gray. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 323. ISBN 978-0786965614.
- Mike Mearls, Stephen Schubert, James Wyatt (June 2008). Monster Manual 4th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 35. ISBN 978-0-7869-4852-9.
- Skip Williams, Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook (July 2003). Monster Manual v.3.5. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 63. ISBN 0-7869-2893-X.
- David "Zeb" Cook et al. (1989). Monstrous Compendium Volume One. (TSR, Inc), p. 14. ISBN 0-8803-8738-6.
- Gary Gygax (December 1977). Monster Manual, 1st edition. (TSR, Inc), p. 11. ISBN 0-9356-9600-8.
- Cryptic Studios (June 2013). Neverwinter. Perfect World Entertainment.
- Thomas Reid (October 2004). Shining South. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 81, 84. ISBN 0-7869-3492-1.
- Douglas Niles (November 1987). Moonshae. Edited by Mike Breault. (TSR, Inc.), p. 17. ISBN 0-88038-494-8.
- Christopher Perkins, Will Doyle, Steve Winter (September 19, 2017). Tomb of Annihilation. Edited by Michele Carter, Scott Fitzgerald Gray. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 200. ISBN 978-0-7869-6610-3.
- James Butler, Elizabeth T. Danforth, Jean Rabe (September 1994). “Explorer's Manual”. In Karen S. Boomgarden ed. Elminster's Ecologies (TSR, Inc), p. 15. ISBN 1-5607-6917-3.
- James Butler, Elizabeth T. Danforth, Jean Rabe (September 1994). “Anauroch”. In Karen S. Boomgarden ed. Elminster's Ecologies (TSR, Inc), p. 13. ISBN 1-5607-6917-3.
- Richard Baker, Matt Forbeck, Sean K. Reynolds (May 2003). Unapproachable East. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 130. ISBN 0-7869-2881-6.
- Sean K. Reynolds (2002-05-04). Deity Do's and Don'ts (Zipped PDF). Wizards of the Coast. p. 10. Archived from the original on 2016-11-01. Retrieved on 2018-09-08.