Dire spiders varied in size and color. Most commonly they were tan or dark brown in color and could be differentiated from their giant cousins by being bigger. Very seldomly, a dire spider could reach even greater size, much bigger than a usual humanoid creature, these creatures were referred to as bloated dire spiders.
They were cunning ambushers and trap makers and were proficient in hiding and waiting for their prey, once the creature was touching their webs, they attacked. Dire spiders hunted in groups.
Dire spiders' abilities were similar to most other spiderkind, they possessed darkvision and were immune to mind-affecting abilities and spells. They were also unaffected by any magically created webs.
When they ambushed their prey, they charged into close combat, confident in their size, strength, and numbers. They dealt slashing damage with their sharp tarsus. Like many other spiders, dire spiders were highly poisonous. When in close combat, dire spiders attempted to inject their victims with their venom upon a bite.
Dire spider venom was potent and was of a similar type as other huge spiders'. Their venom affected the injected creature's strength and if remained untreated, dammed it even further, potentially enough to kill physically weaker creatures or humanoids with lower fortitude.
Dire spiders were notoriously next to impossible to train nor domesticate due to their ferocity.
Circa 1372 DR, dire spiders could be found in the sewers of Neverwinter, especially in the city's poor quarters, such as the Beggar's Nest and inside the Silver Sails Trading Company storehouse in the Docks District. More of these creatures could be found within Neverwinter Woods, spider-infested areas of Underdark, sewers under Daggerford and Spindrift Town., as well as the depths of the Brush of Barbs.
Rumors & Legends
One could summon a dire spider via the summon monster IV spell.
- Video Games
- Neverwinter Nights series (Neverwinter Nights • Neverwinter Nights: Shadows of Undrentide • Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark • Neverwinter Nights: Pirates of the Sword Coast • Neverwinter Nights 2 • Neverwinter Nights: Darkness over Daggerford • Neverwinter Nights: Tyrants of the Moonsea)
Magical spiders: Bloodsilk spider • Electric spider • Glass spider • Gaze spider • Goblin spider • Pet of Kalistes • Spellgaunt • Steeder
Planar spiders: Demonweb terror • Fire spider • Myrlochar • Phase spider • Tomb spider • Vortex spider
Constructs: Arachnar • Bone spider • Jade spider • Retriever • Spiderwalker • Stone spider
Creations of Lolth: Abyssal widow • Chwidencha • Drider (Vampire) • Shunned
Outsiders: Bebilith • Darkweaver • Greelox • Inferno spider • Yochlol
Humanoids: Aranea • Chitine • Choldrith • Ettercap • Werespider
Miscellaneous: Kitthix • Neogi • Rhylfang • Susurrus
Undead spiders: Wraith spider
- BioWare (June 2002). Designed by Brent Knowles, James Ohlen. Neverwinter Nights. Atari.
- Ossian Studios (June 2018). Neverwinter Nights: Darkness over Daggerford. Beamdog.
- BioWare (December 2003). Designed by Brent Knowles. Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark. Atari.
- BioWare (June 2005). Designed by Keith Hayward, Rob Bartel. Neverwinter Nights: Pirates of the Sword Coast. Atari.
- Obsidian Entertainment (October 2006). Designed by Ferret Baudoin, J.E. Sawyer. Neverwinter Nights 2. Atari.