Description[edit | edit source]
Dire wolves grew to about 9 feet (2.7 meters) long and weighed up to 800 pounds (363 kilograms), about the size of a horse. Their fur was thick and a mottled grey or black in color, and they had fiery eyes.
Behavior[edit | edit source]
Dire wolves were far more aggressive than normal wolves, attacking and killing anything they could catch. They could be found singly as lone wolves or in packs numbering three to five dire wolves.
Ecology[edit | edit source]
They could generally be found in temperate forest environments.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
They had keen senses, including a sharp sense of smell, allowing them to track their prey by scent. They could also move stealthily on the hunt.
Combat[edit | edit source]
Dire wolves fought in packs, fighting efficiently and surrounding their prey and flanking it to gain an advantage. Their bite was their only weapon, but they could drag a creature to the ground once they had gotten a hold of them.
History[edit | edit source]
In the Year of the Prince, 1357 DR, Conner and a young boy were traveling on a moor when fog swept in and they were beset by starving dire wolves. However, before the beasts closed in for the kill, a shaft of moonlight transported them to Waterdeep.
Appendix[edit | edit source]
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
External Link[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford, Christopher Perkins (2014-09-30). Monster Manual 5th edition. Edited by Scott Fitzgerald Gray. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 321. ISBN 978-0786965614.
- Mike Mearls, Stephen Schubert, James Wyatt (June 2008). Monster Manual 4th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 264. ISBN 978-0-7869-4852-9.
- Skip Williams, Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook (July 2003). Monster Manual v.3.5. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 65–66. ISBN 0-7869-2893-X.
- Doug Stewart (June 1993). Monstrous Manual. (TSR, Inc), p. 362. ISBN 1-5607-6619-0.
- Gary Gygax (December 1977). Monster Manual, 1st edition. (TSR, Inc), p. 101. ISBN 0-9356-9600-8.
- Sean K. Reynolds (2002-05-04). Deity Do's and Don'ts (Zipped PDF). Wizards of the Coast. pp. 10–15. Archived from the original on 2016-11-01. Retrieved on 2018-09-08.
- Ed Greenwood (June 2000). “The New Adventures of Volo: Quotations of the Realms”. In Dave Gross ed. Dragon #272 (Wizards of the Coast), p. 97.
- Michael Fleisher (January 1989). “The Bounty Seekers Of Manshaka”. Advanced Dungeons & Dragons #2 (DC Comics), pp. 9–10.