|Wikipedia has an article about:|
Dogs were a race of both wild and domesticated animals that were found all over the world. They came in a variety of breeds, sizes, and appearances.
Domesticated over thousands of years and bred for different purposes, dogs were adopted by many humanoids as pets and companions. They were very useful and commonplace, but were often taken for granted because of this, but some valued them greatly and they were considered to be loving and loyal and even a human's best friend.
- A white-furred sled dog breed.
- A powerful hound that was employed in several functions. Mastiffs could serve as mounts for halflings.
- A huge shaggy dog.
- A golden-furred sled dog breed.
- A black-furred sled dog breed.
Some unusual and dangerous variants of dogs were:
- Blink dog
- Intelligent canines with an inherent teleportation ability.
- Frenzy dog
- The creation of an evil druidic spell in the deep forest of Chondalwood.
- A cross-breed between a snake and a dog, native to the jungles of Chult and domesticated by the yuan-ti.
Dogs were considered special animals to many deities. Hunting dogs in particular were favored by Anhur and Marthammor Duin. Tiny lap dogs were considered blessed by Savras. Arvoreen, the Red Knight, and Tempus all preferred war dogs. Dogs with gray fur were sacred to both Azuth and Mask, while black dogs were sacred to Bane, brown dogs to Cyrrollalee, and white to Deneir. Mystra favored dogs of all varieties, and intelligent dogs were known to live in the celestial realms of Nephthys, Rillifane Rallathil, and Sharindlar.
- Skip Williams, Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook (July 2003). Monster Manual v.3.5. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 271. ISBN 0-7869-2893-X.
- Doug Stewart (June 1993). Monstrous Manual. (TSR, Inc), p. 57. ISBN 1-5607-6619-0.
- Gary Gygax (December 1977). Monster Manual, 1st edition. (TSR, Inc), p. 29. ISBN 0-935696-00-8.
- Robert Wiese (2001-10-25). Dogs in the Forgotten Realms (HTML). Wizards of the Coast. Retrieved on 2014-12-19.
- Ed Greenwood, Sean K. Reynolds, Skip Williams, Rob Heinsoo (June 2001). Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting 3rd edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 109. ISBN 0-7869-1836-5.
- Anne Gray McCready et al. (March 1994). Elves of Evermeet. (TSR, Inc), p. 40. ISBN 1-5607-6829-0.
- Rick Swan (1992). The Great Glacier. (TSR, Inc), p. 55. ISBN 1-56076-324-8.
- Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford, Christopher Perkins (2014-09-30). Monster Manual 5th edition. Edited by Scott Fitzgerald Gray. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 332. ISBN 978-0786965614.
- Douglas Niles (March 1992). Prophet of Moonshae. (TSR, Inc), p. 8. ISBN 1-56076-319-1.
- Sean K. Reynolds (2002-05-04). Deity Do's and Don'ts (Zipped PDF). Wizards of the Coast. pp. 10–15. Archived from the original on 2016-11-01. Retrieved on 2018-09-08.