While the mutant variants of dragonspawn were based on the five common chromatic dragons, there were a few species bred from other kinds of chromatics. Among those devoted to Tiamat, the birth of a spawn of Tiamat was considered a sign of their goddess's favor.
Spawn of Tiamat were deeply loyal to their goddess, as they were created with a predisposition to serve the Dark Lady. They also shared her undying hatred of good dragonkind, and they disdained non-dragons of all sorts.
They usually worked alongside of other creatures, whether in packs of their kind or with like-minded individuals of other races, particularly evil dragons.
The first breeds of dragonspawn were kobolds and urds, appearing around −24,500 DR. According to the Parwiccan Cycle, the first mutant species of dragonspawn appeared in Toril during the first years of the Dragonfall War, created by Tiamat to serve as her soldiers in that conflict. They were opposed by the dragonborn created by the god Bahamut.
The mutant variants reappeared on Toril in 1359 DR, after Bahamut regained his deific status and the Dragon Queen sought to destroy the bastions of her old rival. She sent an avatar to Castle Perilous, and with the help of her Vaasan cultists, began to create the spawn again.
She also sent a few full-formed spawns as gifts to her Untheric followers. Her temples began to secretly breed more spawn and smuggled them out of the country to prevent discovery by the Mulhorandi occupation force, thus spreading the spawn across the lands of the Old Empires and beyond. A few spawn joined the Cult of the Dragon, although they only worked with them to further the Dragon Queen's agenda.
Rumors of hobgoblin warbands and spawn massing around the Rathgaunt Hills in the southern Shaar became common over time, and many believed the reappearance of the spawn was an indication that a new battle of the Dragonfall War was about to start.
In 1479 DR, taaldarax of Brimstone's xorvintaal used dragonspawn as their minions in the game. Alasklerbanbastos also sent some spawn to bolster the threskelan army, while other taaldarax gave the ash giants special magic orbs that enabled them to control dragonspawn so the giants could invade Tymanther.
Most spawn were born from normal dragons eggs, whether by the will of Tiamat or by an accident of chance, although members of the Church of Tiamat knew how to artificially breed their own kinds of spawns and were able to create them at a more dependable frequency. Some spawn of Tiamat were also capable of breeding true.
Spawn rarely remained with their parents for long. They matured at a quicker rate than true dragons, reaching adulthood in only a few years.
- Several highly destructive dragonspawn descended from red dragons, including:
- Redspawn arcaniss - A humanoid spawn born from red dragons that wielded powerful fire magic.
- Redspawn berserker - A muscular, humanoid dragonspawn that existed purely to destroy.
- Redspawn birther - Animalistic redspawn that devoured anything they could fit in their jaws.
- Redspawn devastator - A dragon-like spawn born from red dragons, considered the most powerful of all the spawn species.
- Redspawn firebelcher - A dragon-like spawn born from red dragons.
- Sly dragonspawn descended from black dragons, they preferred swampy habitats.
- Blackspawn stalker - A spider-like ambush predator, also known as the Blackspawn Gloomweb.
- Blackspawn raider - A humanoid spawn.
- Blackspawn corruptor - A humanoid spawn that almost always acted alone.
- Desert-dwelling dragonspawn with an affinity for electricity. They were first hatched in the nests of blue dragons.
- Bluespawn godslayer - A gigantic, vaguely humanoid dragonspawn born to slay dragons.
- Bluespawn stormlizard - A lizard-like spawn.
- Bluespawn stoneglider - An insect-like spawn.
- Bluespawn ambusher - A badger-like spawn.
- Bluespawn burrower - A dragon-like spawn born from blue dragons.
- Cunning and deadly dragonspawn of green dragon blood, the greenspawn normally lived in forests.
- Greenspawn razorfiend - A lizard-like spawn.
- Greenspawn zealot - A human-like spawn.
- Greenspawn leaper - A lizard-like spawn.
- Greenspawn sneak - A lizard-like spawn.
- Brutal and savage, the whitespawn lived in the same icy habitats as white dragons.
- Whitespawn iceskidder - A dragon-like spawn.
- Whitespawn hordeling - A kobold-like spawn.
- Whitespawn hunter - A human-like spawn born from white dragons.
- Other dragonspawn
- Besides the species that descended from the main, most populous chromatic species, there were also dragonspawn descended from less well-known chromatic dragons.
- Brownspawn marauder - A spider-like spawn born from brown dragons.
- Purplespawn nightmare - A serpent-like spawn born from purple dragons.
- Grayspawn fleshtearer - A bizarre-looking spawn born from gray dragons.
- Abeiran dragonspawn
- Several strange species of dragonspawn were native to Abeir, and were said to be hybrid descendants of chromatic dragons and other species.
- Felljaw - A dragonspawn species endemic to the Abeiran Underdark.
- Haraevor - A four-headed dragonspawn species endemic to the continent of Laerakond.
- Mike Mearls, Stephen Schubert, James Wyatt (June 2008). Monster Manual 4th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 88–89. ISBN 978-0-7869-4852-9.
- Gwendolyn F.M. Kestrel (July 2006). Monster Manual IV. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 128–163. ISBN 0-7869-3920-6.
- Gwendolyn F.M. Kestrel (July 2006). Monster Manual IV. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 128. ISBN 0-7869-3920-6.
- Brian R. James, Ed Greenwood (September 2007). The Grand History of the Realms. Edited by Kim Mohan, Penny Williams. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 10. ISBN 978-0-7869-4731-7.
- Eric L. Boyd, Eytan Bernstein (August 2006). Dragons of Faerûn. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 74. ISBN 0-7869-3923-0.
- Bruce R. Cordell, et al. (November 2008). Draconomicon: Chromatic Dragons. Edited by Michele Carter, et al. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 218–220. ISBN 978-0-7869-4980-9.
- Eric L. Boyd, Eytan Bernstein (August 2006). Dragons of Faerûn. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 126. ISBN 0-7869-3923-0.
- Eric L. Boyd, Eytan Bernstein (August 2006). Dragons of Faerûn. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 7. ISBN 0-7869-3923-0.
- Eric L. Boyd, Eytan Bernstein (August 2006). Dragons of Faerûn. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 9. ISBN 0-7869-3923-0.
- Gwendolyn F.M. Kestrel (July 2006). Monster Manual IV. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 130. ISBN 0-7869-3920-6.
- Richard Lee Byers (May 2010). The Captive Flame. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 105–110. ISBN 0786953969.
- Richard Lee Byers (2010). Whisper of Venom. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 62–64. ISBN 0786955619.
- Richard Lee Byers (May 2010). The Captive Flame. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 225–230. ISBN 0786953969.
- Bruce R. Cordell, Ed Greenwood, Chris Sims (August 2008). Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide. Edited by Jennifer Clarke Wilkes, et al. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 210. ISBN 978-0-7869-4924-3.
- (July 2007). Monster Manual V. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 74. ISBN 0-7869-4115-4.
- Eric L. Boyd, Eytan Bernstein (August 2006). Dragons of Faerûn. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 105, 108. ISBN 0-7869-3923-0.
- Owen K.C Stephens, Rodney Thompson (September 2006). Dragon Magic. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 118–119. ISBN 0-7869-3936-2.
- Bruce R. Cordell, et al. (November 2008). Draconomicon: Chromatic Dragons. Edited by Michele Carter, et al. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 218–221. ISBN 978-0-7869-4980-9.
- Eytan Bernstein (2007-03-07). Dragons of Faerûn, Part 2: New Draconic Monsters (Zipped PDF). Web Enhancement Archive. Wizards of the Coast. Archived from the original on 2016-10-31. Retrieved on 2017-10-29.
- Bruce R. Cordell, Ed Greenwood, Chris Sims (August 2008). Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide. Edited by Jennifer Clarke Wilkes, et al. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 243. ISBN 978-0-7869-4924-3.
Bluespawn: Ambusher • Burrower • Godslayer • Stoneglider • Stormlizard
Greenspawn: Leaper • Razorfiend • Sneak • Zealot
Redspawn: Birther • Devastator • Firebelcher
Whitespawn: Hordeling • Hunter • Iceskidder
Felljaw • Haraevor • Purplespawn nightmare
Chromatic dragons: Red • Black • Blue • Green • White • Brown • Gray • Purple • Yellow
Gem dragons: Amber • Amethyst • Emerald • Sapphire • Topaz • Crystal • Obsidian
Lung dragons: Chiang lung • Li lung • Lung wang • Pan lung • Shen lung • T'ien lung • Tun mi lung • Yu lung
Planar dragons: Astral • Battle • Blight • Chaos • Ethereal • Faerie • Howling • Mirage • Oceanus • Pyroclastic • Radiant • Rust • Shadow • Styx • Tarterian
Epic dragons: Force • Prismatic
Catastrophic dragons: Volcanic
Miscellaneous dragons: Dzalmus • Mist • Radiant • Rattelyr • Song • Vishap
Draconic transformations: Air • Ascendant
Linnorms: Corpse tearer • Dread • Stygian
Drakes: Ambush • Black firedrake • Dragonne • Elemental (Fire • Ice • Ooze • Smoke • Water) • Felldrake (Crested • Spitting) • Greater • Guard • Mind • Portal • Rage • Space • Vulture
Dragonbloods: Draconic creature • Dragonborn of Bahamut • Dragonspawn
Drow-dragon (shadow) • Drow-dragon (deep) • Half-dragon • Kobold (Dragonwrought • Urd) • Weredragon • Zar'ithra • Zekyl
Undead dragons: Dracolich • Dragonwight • Hoarder • Rathrea • Vampiric • Zombie