This heavy whitish cheese was streaked with black veins, giving it the appearance of stone, hence its other names. Despite its appearance, this pungent cheese was a tasty treat.
The premier cheese of Elturel in the mid–14th century DR, Aurora not only solid it via Aurora's Emporium but kept some in her own larder. She enjoyed surprising it on guests who complained about Elturel and other trade cities, and its reputation spread.
By the early 1360s DR, these other trade cities were producing imitations, often made from cow's milk and with close names like "Elturel Grey" or "Elturel Gray". In 1365 DR, Sir Rivaldo kept an assortment of fine cheeses, including Elturian gray, when he traveled in a coach along the Trade Way from the Way Inn to Waterdeep. Circa 1366 DR, "Elturian gray" was being sold in neighboring Scornubel, where it was quite popular among the cheese selection at the Far Anchor inn, but Volothamp Geddarm remarked he didn't see much of it when in Elturel. By 1370 DR, "Elturian Gray" was available at The Rising Moon inn in Highmoon, Deepingdale, among its wide selection of strong cheeses.[note 1]
The original Elturian Grey could be purchased from Aurora's in the following sizes:
- Loaf, 1 pound (0.45 kilograms) for 6 sp
- ↑ Given the variations in phrasing, spelling, and case of these cheeses in the sources, it is difficult to know which are genuine and which are counterfeit.
- Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue, page 123
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 Jeff Grubb, Julia Martin, Steven E. Schend et al (1992). Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue. (TSR, Inc), p. 123. ISBN 0-5607-6327-2.
- ↑ Anthony Pryor (1994). Marco Volo: Departure. (TSR, Inc.), p. 22. ISBN 1-5607-6848-7.
- ↑ Ed Greenwood (1994). Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast. (TSR, Inc), p. 111. ISBN 1-5607-6940-1.
- ↑ Ed Greenwood (January 1996). Volo's Guide to the Dalelands. (TSR, Inc), p. 113. ISBN 0-7869-0406-2.