In the time of Myth Drannor, the theory of magic revolved around fixed circular relationships between the eight schools of magic; arcane wizardly specialists would sacrifice the school or schools that opposed their own and focus primarily on their specialty school with minor interest in the other, non-opposed, schools. The elven dualists were the first to challenge this notion. The dualists would specialize exclusively in the two "opposing" schools of the prevailing theory, to the exclusion of all other schools of magic (with the exception of minor divination and universal spells).
Elven dualists were found in the following nations and times, but not before the founding of that particular nation:
- Aryvandaar: before and during the Crown Wars - gold elves only
- Cormanthyr: all times, all elves (When Cormanthor became Myth Drannor (261 DR), half-elves could become Dualists and gnomes were able to become nelluonkkar)
- Eaerlann: through the Founding Years - moon elves only
- Evereska: all times, all elves
- Evermeet: all times, all elves
- Miyeritar: before and during the Crown Wars - green elves and dark elves only
- Alurakar: These dualists learned spells that fell in the schools of abjuration and alteration. They saw the Weave as a force that was best used to manipulate movement or adjust forms as they needed. To them, the world was an ever-shifting place from which they required protection.
- Dijakkar: (Conjuration and Divination)
- Encikkar: (Enchantment and Evocation)
- Nelluonkkar: (Illusion and Necromancy)