Casting this spell wiped a scroll or two pages of paper, parchment, or the like clean of all writing, whether mundane or magical. This could remove arcane marks, explosive runes, glyphs of warding, and sepia snake sigils, but not illusory script or symbol spells. Mundane writing was erased automatically if nearby (within 30 feet (9.1 meters)) and not in someone's hand, or with a 90% success rate otherwise. Magical writing had to be touched by the caster, and their casting skill determined whether the erasure was successful or not. If an attempt failed to erase explosive runes, a glyph of warding, or a sepia snake sigil, they were activated instead.
According to the Book of the Silver Talon, the ingredients for the ink used to inscribe erase into spellbooks were one ounce of giant squid sepia, an ounce of acid, three dozen crushed caraway seeds, one chrysolite, and one black pearl. The gems would be dissolved in the acid over the period of two days. After this, the acid was heated in an elven-made bronze tureen with the seeds being added after it was brought to a boil. This would neutralize the acid allowing the mixture to be cooled and mixed with the sepia.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 slade, James Butler (November 1996). Netheril: Empire of Magic (The Winds of Netheril). (TSR, Inc.), pp. 24, 28. ISBN 0-7869-0437-2.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook, Skip Williams (August 2000). Player's Handbook 3rd edition. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 200–201. ISBN 0-7869-1551-4.
- ↑ Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook, Skip Williams (July 2003). Player's Handbook 3.5 edition. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 182, 192, 227. ISBN 0-7869-2886-7.
- ↑ Ed Greenwood, Sean K. Reynolds, Skip Williams, Rob Heinsoo (June 2001). Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting 3rd edition. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 46, 65. ISBN 0-7869-1836-5.
- ↑ Ed Greenwood, Eric L. Boyd (March 2006). Power of Faerûn. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 72. ISBN 0-7869-3910-9.
- ↑ David "Zeb" Cook (August 1989). Player's Handbook (2nd edition). (TSR, Inc.), p. 134. ISBN 0-88038-716-5.
- ↑ Sam Witt (January 1994). The Complete Sha'ir's Handbook. (TSR, Inc), p. 124. ISBN 978-1560768289.
- ↑ slade, James Butler (November 1996). Netheril: Empire of Magic (The Winds of Netheril). (TSR, Inc.), p. 121. ISBN 0-7869-0437-2.
- ↑ Ed Greenwood, Tim Beach (1995). Pages from the Mages. (TSR, Inc), p. 22. ISBN 0-7869-0183-7.