Description[edit | edit source]
Faerie dragons were extremely small in comparison to their large metallic or chromatic dragon cousins—about the size of a cat. Each had an iridescent coat of scales that reflected all colors of the rainbow, predominantly reflecting one particular color which changed with age. They had a long, prehensile tail and platinum-colored, butterfly-like wings.
Like true dragons, faerie dragons grew stronger with age, but they matured much more quickly and lived shorter lives. Because their predominant scale hue ran the colors of the rainbow over their lifetime, their color was a direct indicator of their age and power. The scales of a young hatchling were almost always red, and those of a fully mature dragon (over 50 years old) were violet.
Personality[edit | edit source]
Like many dragons, they tended to be pranksters, but faerie dragons were especially mischievous. They were often referred to as the pranksters of the wild.
Combat[edit | edit source]
Faerie dragons preferred to deal with predators from a distance, using innate magical abilities to confuse and bewilder. Some could phase in and out of their plane to avoid danger. If seriously pressed, these dragons could strike out with their claws and teeth, but they preferred magic over melee. They rarely fought alone and were often quick to call upon allies when in trouble.
Breath Weapon[edit | edit source]
Society[edit | edit source]
Lair[edit | edit source]
Faerie dragons often built their lairs high off the ground in the boughs, crotches, and hollows of trees, making them out of any materials they could gather from the forest floor, such as dry grass, leaves, spider silk, twigs, small branches, tree bark, and mud.
Diet[edit | edit source]
Their diet consisted mostly of small bugs caught in the air, from trees and bushes, and off the ground. They also fed on fruits, berries, nectar, and butterflies, which they ate to get the color and look of their wings.
Notable Faerie Dragons[edit | edit source]
- Otto, a faerie dragon who lived in Maddgoth's Castle in Undermountain in the late 15th century DR.
- Wishes, a violet faerie dragon who worked at the Pink Flumph theater in Waterdeep in the late 15th century DR.
Appendix[edit | edit source]
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Further Reading[edit | edit source]
- Brian Jaeger (June 1982). “Faerie Dragon”. In Kim Mohan ed. Dragon #62 (TSR, Inc.), pp. 6–7.
- Vince Garcia (March 1990). “The Folk of the Faerie Kingdom”. In Roger E. Moore ed. Dragon #155 (TSR, Inc.), p. 34.
References[edit | edit source]
- Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford, Christopher Perkins (2014-09-30). Monster Manual 5th edition. Edited by Scott Fitzgerald Gray. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 133. ISBN 978-0786965614.
- Bruce R. Cordell, Ari Marmell and Robert J. Schwalb (November 2008). Draconomicon: Chromatic Dragons. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 195–196. ISBN 978-0786949809.
- Andy Collins, James Wyatt, and Skip Williams (November 2003). Draconomicon: The Book of Dragons. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 158–159. ISBN 0-7869-2884-0.
- David Cook, Steve Winter, and Jon Pickens (1989). Monstrous Compendium Volume Three Forgotten Realms Appendix (MC3). (TSR, Inc), p. 36. ISBN 0-88038-769-6.
- Gary Gygax (August 1983). Monster Manual II 1st edition. (TSR, Inc), p. 57. ISBN 0-88038-031-4.
- (May 1992). Monster Mythology. (TSR, Inc), p. 123. ISBN 1-5607-6362-0.
- (1996). On Hallowed Ground. Edited by . (TSR, Inc), p. 175. ISBN 0-7869-0430-5.
- (2014). Dungeon Master's Guide 5th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 49. ISBN 978-0786965622.
- (2014). Dungeon Master's Guide 5th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 302–303. ISBN 978-0786965622.
- (November 2018). Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage. Edited by . (Wizards of the Coast), p. 96. ISBN 978-0-7869-6626-4.
- (September 2018). Waterdeep: Dragon Heist. Edited by . (Wizards of the Coast), p. 75. ISBN 978-0-7869-6625-7.
Connections[edit | edit source]
Chromatic dragons: Red • Black • Blue • Green • White • Brown • Gray • Purple • Yellow
Gem dragons: Amber • Amethyst • Emerald • Sapphire • Topaz • Crystal • Obsidian
Lung dragons: Chiang lung • Li lung • Lung wang • Pan lung • Shen lung • T'ien lung • Tun mi lung • Yu lung
Planar dragons: Astral • Battle • Chaos • Ethereal • Faerie • Howling • Mirage • Oceanus • Pyroclastic • Radiant • Rust • Shadow • Styx • Tarterian
Miscellaneous dragons: Air • Ascendant • Brainstealer • Dzalmus • Force • Mist • Prismatic • Radiant • Rattelyr • Song • Vishap • Volcanic