Florin was tall with curly hair. He had a noticeable scar on his hand he earned in his younger days. As a youth he was reckless enough to try and pet a baby red dragon leashed to a traveling merchant on his way to sell the beast in Sembia. The dragon breathed fire on Florin, giving him the scar.
Florin was a direct but polite and honest person.
Florin's father was Hethcanter Falconhand, a retired human captain of the Cormyrean army, and his mother was the half-elf mage Skydusk. Florin looked entirely human, despite his heritage, but maintained a childhood interest in elves and nature. His mother encouraged him to garden, but his father organized him an apprenticeship with Hawkstone, an armorer. Despite this, Florin preferred nature, and earned the nickname "Silent" from his many walks in the woods.
Florin became skilled in both the longsword and two-handed sword. He joined the Knights of Myth Drannor and rose to become a senior member. He briefly met the Heroes of Waterdeep in the Burial Glen, mistaking them for thugs, but heard from Elminster that a group of heroes had come to help liberate Myth Drannor and wished the adventurers well. When Khelben "Blackstaff" Arunsun offered him a position as lord of Shadowdale, Florin declined and the position instead went to Doust Sulwood, his companion. Florin also acquired Firefoam, a telepathic warhorse, and a hawk named Minstrel.
Florin put the word out that he had temporarily moved back to his "ancestral manor" in Espar (actually a humble cottage) with his wife, Dove, to raise their child, Azalar, though in fact they took him to Evermeet and alternated parenting duties for a time.
- Ed Greenwood (August 2006). Swords of Eveningstar. (Wizards of the Coast), chap. 3, p. 35. ISBN 978-0-7869-4022-6.
- Jeff Grubb, Ed Greenwood and Karen S. Martin (1987). Forgotten Realms Campaign Set (DM's Sourcebook of the Realms). (TSR, Inc), p. 21. ISBN 0-8803-8472-7.
- Ed Greenwood (August 2006). Swords of Eveningstar. (Wizards of the Coast), chap. 4, p. 45. ISBN 978-0-7869-4022-6.
- Ed Greenwood (August 2006). Swords of Eveningstar. (Wizards of the Coast), chap. 4, p. 38. ISBN 978-0-7869-4022-6.
- Ed Greenwood, Julia Martin, Jeff Grubb (1993). Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting 2nd edition (revised), Running the Realms. (TSR, Inc), pp. 34–35. ISBN 1-5607-6617-4.
- Ed Greenwood (August 2006). Swords of Eveningstar. (Wizards of the Coast), chap. 7, p. 76. ISBN 978-0-7869-4022-6.
- Strategic Simulations, Inc. (1993). Eye of the Beholder III: Assault on Myth Drannor. Strategic Simulations, Inc.
- Ed Greenwood (October 2012). Ed Greenwood Presents Elminster's Forgotten Realms. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 156. ISBN 0786960345.
- Ed Greenwood (December 2000). “The New Adventures of Volo: Lost Treasures of Cormyr”. In Dave Gross ed. Dragon #278 (Wizards of the Coast), p. 89.
- Brian R. James, Ed Greenwood (September 2007). The Grand History of the Realms. Edited by Kim Mohan, Penny Williams. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 60. ISBN 978-0-7869-4731-7.