Force Grey, otherwise known as The Gray Hands, was a group of elite adventurers who worked directly for the government of the city of Waterdeep. Their job was to deal with threats to the city that The Guard and The Watch could not handle without risking significant loss of life. They were called upon only as a last resort, since the Lords of Waterdeep tended to not be fond of their methods.
Members were not expected to patrol the city for threats and were basically free to follow their own goals, so long as they were available in the city, ready to be called to action, for at least thirty hours per week. In exchange, the city paid each member one hundred gold pieces per month.
Force Grey were called upon to minimize any loss of life that could be caused should they not be available to deal with a threat. The members of the group were therefore expected to be equal to, if not the better of, said threat in terms of power. They approached most problems in a brute force kind of way, causing collateral damage to property and infrastructure in their attempts to save as many lives as possible.
Base of OperationsEdit
Although the group used Blackstaff Tower as a base, members were not expected to frequent it save when orders were being handed out. Harshnag remained within his cave on Mount Sar, outside of the city proper until he was needed, whereupon he would enter Waterdeep via a gate that connected to Blackstaff Tower.
When called upon, each member was given magical equipment that would aid them in defeating the current threat to the city. This equipment was marked by the Blackstaff with spells that would cause the items to return, along with their wielders, to Blackstaff Tower after a few days.
Force Grey was founded by Khelben Arunsun in his capacity as the city's archmage. Upon Khelben's apparent death in 1374 DR, the leadership of the group passed on to Khelben's successor as Blackstaff, Tsarra Chaadren, establishing the policy that the group would always be officially headed up by the Blackstaff.
Force Grey had had dozens of members during its existence, but some made their mark on the group so as to stand out in particular.
- Asper: Although not officially a member of Force Grey, the wife of Mirt the Moneylender worked with them so often, she was considered an honorary one.
- Carolyas Idogyr: The niece of Gamalon Idogyr, and former member of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors.
- Harshnag: A good-aligned frost giant and the group's longest-serving member.
- Hrusse: A priest of Assuran from distant Unther, banished from his homeland by the Church of Gilgeam.
- Jardwim: A ranger of Mielikki who was once petrified by the original Xanathar. His two blink dog companions lent him their aid on missions for Force Grey.
- Maliantor: Formerly a student of Khelben Arunsun, she was known as Khelben's strongest ally within Force Grey.
- Osco Salibuck: Once a captive of Force Grey, Osco reformed his criminal ways and was invited to join. Although he himself wasn't particularly powerful, he commanded the loyalty of a mighty djinn servant named Amprantines.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Eric L. Boyd (June 2005). City of Splendors: Waterdeep. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 37. ISBN 0-7869-3693-2.
- ↑ Template:Cite dragon/167/Game Wizards: Understanding Undermountain: The King of All Dungeons
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Dale Donovan, Paul Culotta (August 1996). Heroes' Lorebook. (TSR, Inc), p. 155. ISBN 0-7869-0412-7.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Ed Greenwood and Steven E. Schend (July 1994). “Campaign Guide”. City of Splendors (TSR, Inc), p. 73. ISBN 0-5607-6868-1.
- ↑ Ed Greenwood and Jeff Grubb (September 1988). City System. (TSR, Inc.), p. 6. ISBN 0-8803-8600-2.
- ↑ Christopher Perkins, James Haeck, James Introcaso, Adam Lee, Matthew Sernett (September 2018). Waterdeep: Dragon Heist. Edited by Jeremy Crawford. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 37. ISBN 978-0-7869-6625-7.
- ↑ Force Grey. Retrieved on 2018-07-05.