A frost salamander was a type of salamander that dwelt in cold regions. These creatures acquired their names from the well-known salamanders from the Elemental Plane of Fire, but as they seemed to be cold-orientated versions, they became known as frost salamanders.
Frost salamanders were magical beasts that mainly inhabited the elemental planes. They had ice-blue, six-legged serpentine bodies, reptilian heads, and very long tails. Their sharp claws resembled icicles, and they used these for combat and climbing up slippery slopes.
When initiating attacks, frost salamanders would rear onto their hind legs and slash with all four of their front legs. They also used their sharp teeth in combination with their claws, and would sometimes charge their enemies into pools of freezing cold water. Any being that got close to such salamanders would take damage due to the sheer coldness of the beings. Frost salamanders never used weapons, as their goal was to shred opponents apart as quickly as possible. They could use their freezing breath to exhale frigid winds in a 60' cone.
As for all cold-type creatures, these salamanders could not be hurt by cold, but took as much injury from fire.
Although originally from the elemental planes, frost salamanders were often summoned to the Prime Material plane, or went there by their own means. They only settled in cold and windy climates, and even took damage if exposed to warmer areas. They basked in chilly winds, in the same way that typical animals bathed in rich sunlight.
After slaying victims in combat, these salamanders would bring them deeper into their icy domains, to freeze and preserve them. They delighted in eating frozen meat, as well as arctic plants. They preferred to avoid confrontations with other predators that dwelt in cold regions.
Adventurers occasionally sought out such creatures, as their sluggish, blue blood could be used to temper their blades. Frost salamander bones could be used a component for a wand of frost. When frost salamanders came across regular salamanders, being mortal enemies, they fought to the death.
Notable Frost Salamanders
- Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford (May 29, 2018). Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes. Edited by Kim Mohan, Michele Carter. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 223. ISBN 978-0786966240.
- Ed Bonny, Jeff Grubb, Rich Redman, Skip Williams, and Steve Winter (September 2002). Monster Manual II 3rd edition. (TSR, Inc), p. 107. ISBN 07-8692-873-5.
- John Nephew, John Terra, Skip Williams, Teeuwynn Woodruff (1994). Mystara Monstrous Compendium Appendix. (TSR, Inc.), p. 43. ISBN 1-56076-875-4.
- Monte Cook, ed. (1998). Monstrous Compendium Planescape Appendix III. Edited by Michele Carter and Ray Vallese. (TSR, Inc.), pp. 44–45. ISBN 0-7869-0751-7.
- Template:Cite book/Dungeons and Dragons Cyclopedia
- Template:Cite book/Dungeons and Dragons Expert Set 2
- Template:Cite book/Dungeons and Dragons Expert Set