Gaerdal Ironhand (pronounced: /ˈgɛərdʊl ˈaɪɜːrnhænd/ GAIR-dul EYE-urn-hænd), was a lawful good deity of the gnome pantheon, led by the greater deity Garl Glittergold. The sternest and most serious of gnome deities, Gaerdal was the patron of warriors and protectors of gnomish communities. As such, he was honored in some manner by nearly all good-aligned gnomes, and one or two crusaders would be found in most sizable settlements. His symbol was an iron band, usually worn on the upper left arm, and his preferred weapon was the warhammer Hammersong. He resided in the Golden Hills, inside Dothion, which was found in Bytopia (also known as the Twin Paradises).
Priests of Gaerdal prayed at dawn. They called tendays "Tenhammers", after a custom of striking a metal shield with a large hammer at the end of each day and because ten days was a typical duration of guard duty for followers of Gaerdal. After ten Tenhammers, the final day was considered a holy day known as a Great Clang and believers would assemble to sing hymns and chants.
Gaerdal Ironhand had good relations with most of the other gnomish gods with the exception of Urdlen. He disliked Baervan Wildwanderer because of his tendency to pull pranks. He was hostile toward the kobold and goblin pantheons.
- Eric L. Boyd, Erik Mona (May 2002). Faiths and Pantheons. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 135. ISBN 0-7869-2759-3.
- Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford (May 29, 2018). Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes. Edited by Kim Mohan, Michele Carter. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 110, 112. ISBN 978-0786966240.
- Steve Kenson, et al. (November 2015). Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. Edited by Kim Mohan. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 24. ISBN 978-0-7869-6580-9.
- Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford (2014). Player's Handbook 5th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 63. ISBN 978-0-7869-6560-1.
- Ed Greenwood, Sean K. Reynolds, Skip Williams, Rob Heinsoo (June 2001). Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting 3rd edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 240. ISBN 0-7869-1836-5.
- Eric L. Boyd (1998). Demihuman Deities. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 149. ISBN 0-7869-1239-1.
- Sean K. Reynolds (2002-05-04). Deity Do's and Don'ts (Zipped PDF). Wizards of the Coast. p. 11. Archived from the original on 2016-11-01. Retrieved on 2018-09-08.