|This article or section includes a list of references or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks in-text citations.
You can improve this article by introducing more precise citations.
Amethyst dragons were neutral, logical dragons. They had lavender skin and crystal-like scales. Their breath weapon was a blast of concussive force, and they were known to burrow into the ground. They were also the most powerful of the gem dragons.
Emerald dragons were reclusive dragons with a lawful bent. They are inquisitive about history, but also paranoid and distrustful of visitors, whom they deter by setting traps in and by their lairs, and with their breath weapon, a powerful blast of wind. They had scales in many shades of green, with a scintillating appearance that makes the dragon seem to be in constant motion.
Sapphire dragons were territorial, militaristic dragons who normally lived in the Underdark. The majority of their diet was composed of giant spiders, and sapphire dragons considered all the evil races of the Underdark their enemies. Their breath weapon was a blast of noise that caused panic. Because of their sparkling, multi-blue-colored scales, they were sometimes mistaken for blue dragons.
Topaz dragons were erratic, antisocial gem dragons who were often selfish and disinterested in things that did not affect them. They preferred to live by beaches, and enjoyed the feeling the sea wind against their faceted, yellow-orange scales.
Crystal dragons were friendly, curious gem dragons. They enjoyed conversing with other creatures but sometimes came into conflict with white dragons due to shared preferences in habitats. They were chaotic neutral and had a blinding cone of white light for a breath weapon. They were the smallest of the gem dragons and had translucent, crystalline scales.
Obsidian dragons were the most intelligent of the gem dragons, but also the most dangerous. They had smooth, black, glass-like scales that had razor edges and could breathe a cone of fire. They preferred to lair near volcanoes, and were notable for their psionic abilities.
- Metallic dragon, a group of virtuous dragon subraces.
- Chromatic dragon, a group of inherently evil dragon subraces.
- Amber dragon, a neutral dragon not officially counted among gem dragons.
- Ed Bonny, Jeff Grubb, Rich Redman, Skip Williams, and Steve Winter (September 2002). Monster Manual II 3rd edition. (TSR, Inc), pp. 77–87. ISBN 07-8692-873-5.
- Bruce R. Cordell (2001-03-30). More Psionic Monsters (Zipped PDF). Wizards of the Coast. Archived from the original on 2016-11-01. Retrieved on 2018-09-10.
- Ed Bonny, Jeff Grubb, Rich Redman, Skip Williams, and Steve Winter (September 2002). Monster Manual II 3rd edition. (TSR, Inc), p. 77. ISBN 07-8692-873-5.
- Bruce R. Cordell (April 2004). Expanded Psionics Handbook. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 183. ISBN 0-7869-3301-1.
- Scott Brocius, Mark A. Jindra (2003-01-24). Psionic Bestiary: Obsidian Dragon. The Mind's Eye. Wizards of the Coast. Archived from the original on 2014-02-13. Retrieved on 2018-02-09.
Chromatic dragons: Red • Black • Blue • Green • White • Brown • Gray • Purple • Yellow
Gem dragons: Amber • Amethyst • Emerald • Sapphire • Topaz • Crystal • Obsidian
Lung dragons: Chiang lung • Li lung • Lung wang • Pan lung • Shen lung • T'ien lung • Tun mi lung • Yu lung
Planar dragons: Astral • Battle • Blight • Chaos • Ethereal • Faerie • Howling • Mirage • Oceanus • Pyroclastic • Radiant • Rust • Shadow • Styx • Tarterian
Epic dragons: Force • Prismatic
Catastrophic dragons: Volcanic
Miscellaneous dragons: Dzalmus • Mist • Radiant • Rattelyr • Song • Vishap
Draconic transformations: Air • Ascendant
Linnorms: Corpse tearer • Dread • Stygian
Drakes: Ambush • Black firedrake • Dragonne • Elemental (Fire • Ice • Ooze • Smoke • Water) • Felldrake (Crested • Spitting) • Greater • Guard • Mind • Portal • Rage • Space • Vulture
Dragonbloods: Draconic creature • Dragonborn of Bahamut • Dragonspawn
Drow-dragon (shadow) • Drow-dragon (deep) • Half-dragon • Kobold (Dragonwrought • Urd) • Weredragon • Zar'ithra • Zekyl
Undead dragons: Dracolich • Dragonwight • Hoarder • Rathrea • Vampiric