These creatures primarily fed upon fish.
Giant crayfish were typically found to inhabit wide and deep rivers of freshwater. On Toril they were particularly known to be encountered in the River Ashaba of Cormanthor, Dragon Reach, the Stump Bog, and the Moonsea lake.
The meat of giant crayfish was considered a delicacy by many creatures, especially among nixies. Dragon turtles, giant gars, giant otters, giant pikes, giant snapping turtles, merrows, and storm giants were all known to hunt and prey upon them.
|This Realmslore article about a creature is a stub. You can help the Forgotten Realms Wiki by expanding it.|
- These core sources — Monstrous Manual on page 50, Monstrous Compendium Volume Two on page 29, and the 1st edition Dungeon Masters Guide on pages 180 & 224 — all state that crayfish and lobsters are the same thing. While crayfish are similar to lobsters and are even colloquially known as "freshwater lobsters," they are distinct creatures.
- Kim Mohan, Mike Mearls (April 2017). Tales from the Yawning Portal. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 235. ISBN 978-0786966097.
- Gary Gygax, Andy Collins (March 2013). “The Village of Hommlet”. In Miranda Horner, Kim Mohan eds. Dungeon #212 (Wizards of the Coast), p. 60.
- Clifford Horowitz (July 2004). “Silicon Sorcery: The Temple of Elemental Evil”. In Matthew Sernett ed. Dragon #321 (Paizo Publishing), p. 60.
- Doug Stewart (June 1993). Monstrous Manual. (TSR, Inc), p. 50. ISBN 1-5607-6619-0.
- Gary Gygax (December 1977). Monster Manual, 1st edition. (TSR, Inc), p. 15. ISBN 0-9356-9600-8.
- Ed Greenwood (March 1993). “Campaign Guide to Myth Drannor”. In Newton H. Ewell ed. The Ruins of Myth Drannor (TSR, Inc.), p. 12. ISBN 1-5607-6569-0.
- Random encounters table included in Ed Greenwood (1989). Tantras (adventure). (TSR, Inc). ISBN 0-88038-739-4.
- Ed Greenwood (December 1987). “Welcome to Waterdeep”. In Roger E. Moore ed. Dragon #128 (TSR, Inc.), p. 14.
- Jeff Grubb and George MacDonald (April 1989). Curse of the Azure Bonds. (TSR, Inc.), p. 93. ISBN 978-0880386067.
- Jeff Grubb (1987). Ochimo: The Spirit Warrior. (TSR, Inc), p. 16. ISBN 0-88038-393-3.
- Mike Pondsmith, Jay Batista, Rick Swan, John Nephew, Deborah Christian (1988). Kara-Tur: The Eastern Realms (Volume II). (TSR, Inc), p. 101. ISBN 0-88038-608-8.
- Wolfgang Baur and Lester Smith (1994-07-01). “The Book of Chaos”. In Michele Carter ed. Planes of Chaos (TSR, Inc), p. 97. ISBN 1560768746.