These creatures did not seem to keep or hoard treasure of any type. They were very quick at traversing land, and much faster than all other types of lizards. Giant lizards were good climbers, and could climb as fast as they crawled. Some of these beasts could hold their breath for up to 15 minutes, as well as climb upside down on ceilings and difficult surfaces.
Giant lizards had very large maws, making it able for them to envelop smaller foes.
- Itzmti: a species of giant lizard that was native to Maztica. They had dull-red scales that were evocative of a dragon's and their flesh was considered a delicacy.
Appearing in pairs or in groups up to twelve, giant lizards preferred to lurk in swamps and marshes. They were also known to be solitary, and could dwell in any warm lands. However, they were sometimes domesticated by lizardfolk who used them as pack animals and a source of food.
- Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford, Christopher Perkins (2014-09-30). Monster Manual 5th edition. Edited by Scott Fitzgerald Gray. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 326. ISBN 978-0786965614.
- Template:Cite dungeon/221
- David "Zeb" Cook et al. (1989). Monstrous Compendium Volume One. (TSR, Inc). ISBN 0-8803-8738-6.
- Gary Gygax (December 1977). Monster Manual, 1st edition. (TSR, Inc), p. 61. ISBN 0-935696-00-8.
- Jeff Grubb and Tim Beach (September 1991). Fires of Zatal. (TSR, Inc), p. 21. ISBN 1-5607-6139-3.
- Ed Greenwood (December 1987). “Welcome to Waterdeep”. In Roger E. Moore ed. Dragon #128 (TSR, Inc.), p. 14.
- Dale Donovan (December 1995). “Liber Benevolentiae”. In Michele Carter ed. Planes of Conflict (TSR, Inc.), p. 8. ISBN 0-7869-0309-0.