Giant rats, also known as dire rats, were a species of large rodent.
Description[edit | edit source]
Combat[edit | edit source]
Giant rats worked exceptionally well in groups, taking advantage of their numbers to attack more efficiently. They attacked a target by biting them with its sharp incisors. Giant rats avoided attacking stronger creatures, especially those wielding fire, unless driven by extreme hunger or compelled to do so by a wererat or vampire. Giant rats were excellent swimmers, as such they were just as dangerous in the water as they were on land.
Ecology[edit | edit source]
Giant rats were common found in subterranean areas such as crypts, dungeons and sewers. They were also found in great numbers within graveyards, where they dug a network of tunnel to gain access to the corpses found within.
Habitats[edit | edit source]
Appendix[edit | edit source]
See Also[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Appearances[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford, Christopher Perkins (2014-09-30). Monster Manual 5th edition. Edited by Scott Fitzgerald Gray. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 327. ISBN 978-0786965614.
- Mike Mearls, Stephen Schubert, James Wyatt (June 2008). Monster Manual 4th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 219. ISBN 978-0-7869-4852-9.
- Skip Williams, Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook (July 2003). Monster Manual v.3.5. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 64. ISBN 0-7869-2893-X.
- David "Zeb" Cook et al. (1989). Monstrous Compendium Volume One. (TSR, Inc), p. 115. ISBN 0-8803-8738-6.
- Gary Gygax (December 1977). Monster Manual, 1st edition. (TSR, Inc), p. 81. ISBN 0-9356-9600-8.
- Ed Greenwood and Jason Carl (July 2002). Silver Marches. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 43–44. ISBN 0-7869-2835-2.
- William W. Connors (1996). Monstrous Compendium - Ravenloft Appendices I & II. (TSR, Inc.), p. 70. ISBN 0786903929.
- BioWare (June 2002). Designed by Brent Knowles, James Ohlen. Neverwinter Nights. Atari.