Giant rats, also known as dire rats, were a species of large rodent.
Giant rats worked exceptionally well in groups, taking advantage of their numbers to attack more efficiently. They attacked a target by biting them with its sharp incisors. Giant rats avoided attacking stronger creatures, especially those wielding fire, unless driven by extreme hunger or compelled to do so by a wererat or vampire. Giant rats were excellent swimmers, as such they were just as dangerous in the water as they were on land.
Giant rats were common found in subterranean areas such as crypts, dungeons and sewers. They were also found in great numbers within graveyards, where they dug a network of tunnel to gain access to the corpses found within.
Some were raised to be mounts by the Tasloi, alongside spider eaters.
- Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford, Christopher Perkins (2014-09-30). Monster Manual 5th edition. Edited by Scott Fitzgerald Gray. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 327. ISBN 978-0786965614.
- Mike Mearls, Stephen Schubert, James Wyatt (June 2008). Monster Manual 4th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 219. ISBN 978-0-7869-4852-9.
- Skip Williams, Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook (July 2003). Monster Manual v.3.5. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 64. ISBN 0-7869-2893-X.
- David "Zeb" Cook et al. (1989). Monstrous Compendium Volume One. (TSR, Inc), p. 115. ISBN 0-8803-8738-6.
- Gary Gygax (December 1977). Monster Manual, 1st edition. (TSR, Inc), p. 81. ISBN 0-935696-00-8.
- Ed Greenwood and Jason Carl (July 2002). Silver Marches. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 43–44. ISBN 0-7869-2835-2.
- William W. Connors (1996). Monstrous Compendium - Ravenloft Appendices I & II. (TSR, Inc.), p. 70. ISBN 0786903929.
- BioWare (June 2002). Designed by Brent Knowles, James Ohlen. Neverwinter Nights. Atari.