Giant rhinoceros beetles were the largest species of giant beetle, typically measuring at around 12 ft (3.7 m) in length. They had a single giant horn that extended to a length of 6 feet (1.8 meters). Their shells were usually iridescent or brightly colored.
Giant rhinoceros beetles used their large mandibles and single large horns in combat to damage any opponents that got near to them.
Giant rhinoceros beetles primarily inhabited the jungles of tropical or subtropical regions.
- Doug Stewart (June 1993). Monstrous Manual. (TSR, Inc), p. 18. ISBN 1-5607-6619-0.
- Gary Gygax (December 1977). Monster Manual, 1st edition. (TSR, Inc), pp. 9–10. ISBN 0-935696-00-8.
- Eric L. Boyd (September 1997). Powers & Pantheons. Edited by Julia Martin. (TSR, Inc.), p. 141. ISBN 978-0786906574.
- Tom Prusa (1993). The Shining South. (TSR, Inc), pp. 36, 49. ISBN 1-56076-595-X.
- David Cook (October 1992). “The Djinni's Claws”. In Bill Slavicsek ed. Golden Voyages (TSR, Inc.), p. 2. ISBN 978-1560763314.
- Black Isle Studios (February 2001). Designed by Chris Avellone, Steve Bokkes, John Deiley, J.E. Sawyer. Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter. Interplay.