Giant spiders, also known as monstrous spiders, were quite simply enormous versions of regular spiders. Existing in various types, there was no way to singularly describe their appearance; with various types ranging in size from that of a dog to a house. Giant versions of tarantulas existed, as did black widows, spitters, spinners, and all manner of others. Their appearances, habits, and environments all varied greatly. Goblins were known to employ them as mounts.
Description[edit | edit source]
Combat[edit | edit source]
Giant spiders could attack in a variety of ways, typically whatever way their normal counterparts could. Some spun huge webs that prey easily stumbled into, while others spat a deadly poison. Some were capable of walking on ceilings, while others were not. Despite the differences between the types of giant spiders, all were formidable opponents and certainly not foes for any arachnophobes to face.
Varieties[edit | edit source]
- Ice - A giant ice spider had snow-white fur and red eyes. They had a natural resistance to cold-based attacks and weaved liquid webs that quickly solidified due to their environment.
Appendix[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Dungeon #14: "Masqueraider" • Dungeon #29: "Nymph's Reward" • Pool of Radiance: Attack on Myth Drannor
- Video Games
- Gateway to the Savage Frontier • Baldur's Gate • Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn • Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone • Neverwinter • Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms • Neverwinter Nights: Darkness over Daggerford
- Card Games
- AD&D Trading Cards
External Links[edit | edit source]
- Giant Spider article at the Baldur's Gate Wiki, a wiki for the Baldur's Gate games.
- Giant spider article at the NWNWiki, a wiki for the Neverwinter Nights games.
- Giant spider article at Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia.
References[edit | edit source]
- Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford, Christopher Perkins (2014-09-30). Monster Manual 5th edition. Edited by Scott Fitzgerald Gray. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 328. ISBN 978-0786965614.
- Mike Mearls, Stephen Schubert, James Wyatt (June 2008). Monster Manual 4th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 246–247. ISBN 978-0-7869-4852-9.
- Skip Williams, Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook (July 2003). Monster Manual v.3.5. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 284, 288–289. ISBN 0-7869-2893-X.
- Doug Stewart (June 1993). Monstrous Manual. (TSR, Inc), p. 326. ISBN 1-5607-6619-0.
- Gary Gygax (December 1977). Monster Manual, 1st edition. (TSR, Inc), p. 90. ISBN 0-9356-9600-8.
- Skip Williams, Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook (July 2003). Monster Manual v.3.5. (Wizards of the Coast). ISBN 0-7869-2893-X.
- Christopher Perkins (September 6, 2016). Storm King's Thunder. Edited by Kim Mohan, Michele Carter. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 127. ISBN 978-0786966004.