Greatswords were a two-handed, martial, melee weapon.
Greatswords were the largest member of the sword family requiring two hands to wield. The hilt was elongated to accommodate the extra grip and the blade was doubled-edged. Some versions had parrying hooks (Parierhaken) on their blade about 4‒8 in (0.1‒0.2 m) away from the guard. The blades were typically dull between their parrying hooks and guard so that they could be gripped there.
Greatswords were large and heavy for a sword, requiring a good deal of training in order to wield effectively. Thus, they were classified as a martial weapon. Greatswords with parrying hooks could be gripped with one hand between the hooks and the guard and the other on the hilt, allowing the weapon to be used in a pole arm fashion. The greatsword was recognized by adventurers as a reliable, powerful weapon.
- Ceremonial sword of the nation of Cormyr.
- Duty's Bond
- Favored weapon of Torm, the god of protection.
- Sword of Shadows
- Favored weapon of Shaundakul, the god of travelers.
- The powerful Holy Avenger.
- The evil githyanki-forged weapon, said to have been forged in Tu'narath.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford (2014). Player's Handbook 5th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 149. ISBN 978-0-7869-6560-1.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook, Skip Williams (July 2003). Player's Handbook 3.5 edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 117. ISBN 0-7869-2886-7.
- ↑ Rob Heinsoo, Andy Collins, James Wyatt (June 2008). Player's Handbook 4th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 218. ISBN 0-7869-4867-1.
- ↑ Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook, Skip Williams (July 2003). Player's Handbook 3.5 edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 118. ISBN 0-7869-2886-7.