A groundhog, often called a woodchuck, was a small mammalian creature.
Groundhogs were able to gnaw through wood and trees at a quick rate. They were fairly common.
Woodchucks were somewhat dexterous and were good at hiding, moving silently, and listening. They also had a strong sense of smell.
The little animals were of no threat to humans. Woodchuck pelts were worth about 1 gp each. They were sometimes used as familiars, particularly by gnomes. The red meat of such critters made up a large portion of the diet of aurumvoraxes.
- James Wyatt (November 2000). “Unusual Suspects”. In Dave Gross ed. Dragon #277 (Wizards of the Coast), p. 65.
- Doug Stewart (June 1993). Monstrous Manual. (TSR, Inc), p. 244. ISBN 1-5607-6619-0.
- James Butler, Elizabeth T. Danforth, Jean Rabe (September 1994). “Cormanthor”. In Karen S. Boomgarden ed. Elminster's Ecologies (TSR, Inc), p. 17. ISBN 1-5607-6917-3.
- BioWare (September 2000). Designed by James Ohlen, Kevin Martens. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn. Black Isle Studios.
- David Cook (October 1992). “The Steaming Isles”. In Bill Slavicsek ed. Golden Voyages (TSR, Inc.), p. 15. ISBN 978-1560763314.
- Dale "slade" Henson (April 1991). Realmspace. Edited by Gary L. Thomas, Karen S. Boomgarden. (TSR, Inc), p. 37. ISBN 1-56076-052-4.