The caster produced a powerful gale from their person, with a wind speed of around 50 miles (80 kilometers) per hour and running in a narrow line directed where they faced. It instantly blew out unprotected flames like candles and torches, and caused even protected flames like lanterns to flicker wildly, and potentially even extinguish them too. Like any natural sudden wind gust, a gust of wind could also whip up a stinging spray of sand or dust; fan a large fire; blow over light awnings and hangings; cause a small boat to heel; or disperse gases, clouds, or vapors, at least to the limit of its range of 60 feet (18 meters) The wind interfered with thrown and projectile weapons.
Creatures caught in the area might also be affected. First, it was harder to hear over the wind. Human-sized creatures couldn't move forward against the wind, and those flying were blown back up to 30 feet (9 meters). Gnome-sized creatures were knocked to the ground, and those flying blown back up to 60 feet (18 meters). Smaller creatures were knocked over and rolled across the ground up to 40 feet (12 meters), battering them in the process, while those flying were blown back up to 120 feet (36 meters), buffeting and battering them. In any case, the wind could not blow a creature beyond its range of 60 feet (18 meters).
- slade, Jim Butler (October 1996). “The Winds of Netheril”. In Jim Butler ed. Netheril: Empire of Magic (TSR, Inc.), pp. 22, 24, 26. ISBN 0-7869-0437-2.
- Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford (2014). Player's Handbook 5th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 207–211, 248. ISBN 978-0-7869-6560-1.
- Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford (2014). Player's Handbook 5th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 62. ISBN 978-0-7869-6560-1.
- Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook, Skip Williams (July 2003). Player's Handbook v.3.5. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 189, 193, 238. ISBN 0-7869-2886-7.
- Ed Greenwood, Sean K. Reynolds, Skip Williams, Rob Heinsoo (June 2001). Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting 3rd edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 65. ISBN 0-7869-1836-5.
- Richard Baker, James Wyatt (March 2004). Player's Guide to Faerûn. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 91. ISBN 0-7869-3134-5.
- David "Zeb" Cook (August 1989). Player's Handbook (2nd edition). (TSR, Inc.), p. 149. ISBN 0-88038-716-5.
- Richard Baker (1996). Player's Option: Spells & Magic. (TSR, Inc), p. 183. ISBN 0-7869-0394-5.
- Jeff Grubb and Andria Hayday (April 1992). Arabian Adventures. (TSR, Inc), p. 152. ISBN 978-1560763581.
- slade, Jim Butler (October 1996). “The Winds of Netheril”. In Jim Butler ed. Netheril: Empire of Magic (TSR, Inc.), pp. 121–123. ISBN 0-7869-0437-2.
- Scott Bennie (February 1990). Old Empires. Edited by Mike Breault. (TSR, Inc.), p. 63. ISBN 978-0880388214.