A heavy mace is a simple, one-handed melee weapon, much like a club made from metal.
The heavy mace is the larger brother of the light mace. It has a longer and thicker metal haft and a larger head than the light mace. The flanges on the striking head are bigger and often more elaborate. Heavy maces are not to be confused with the morning star which is even longer and has spikes protruding out of the head. An average heavy mace costs 12gp and weighs 8lbs (3.6kg).
The mace is the natural development of the club and is made completely out of metal, making it a heavy but difficult to break weapon. This weapon is intended to be used one-handed and is simple enough for most character classes to use without any training. Mounted horsemen often use maces with slightly longer hafts to reach both mounted and unmounted opponents.
Notable heavy macesEdit
- favored weapon of pre-Spellplague diety Lathander.
- favored weapon of Marthammor Duin, the dwarven god of wanderers.
- Mace of the Darkchildren
- weapon that gave its wielder greater control over undead.
- Rod of Four Moons
- favored weapon of the moon goddess Selûne.
- favored weapon of Selvetarm, a chaotic evil demigod who served Lolth
- Wrath of Righteousness
- favored weapon of Berronar Truesilver, the goddess matriarch of the dwarven pantheon.
- Richard Baker, James Wyatt (March 2004). Player's Guide to Faerûn. (Wizards of the Coast). ISBN 0-7869-3134-5.
|This article is a stub. You can help the Forgotten Realms Wiki by expanding it.|