Gameplay[edit | edit source]
The player chooses a character and starts in Hillsfar. It was one of the first RPGs that tried to combine simple hack-and-slay style with puzzles. The story was simple, with the player-character just walking around the town and its surrounding area, solving some puzzles and fighting action sequences, while trying to find treasures and weapons. Unlike most role-playing games, there aren't any randomly generated monsters to battle, combat only occurs in the arena.
Importing and exporting characters[edit | edit source]
The character from Hillsfar can be exported to Curse of the Azure Bonds. If this is done, extra content will be unlocked in the latter game.
Mini-Games[edit | edit source]
In the game, there are various mini-games that are required to complete the quests or missions.
- Competing at the archery range.
- Exploring buildings or mazes.
- Fighting in the arena.
- Locking picking doors and chests.
- Riding a horse outside Hillsfar while avoiding obstacles.
Index[edit | edit source]
Characters[edit | edit source]
- Arlana • Asrigir • Biswon • Brother Serson • Caratacus • Charlie • Dalma • Damin • Diane • Dodo • Eclipse • Faith • Franklin Smith • Glinda • Graeme ibn-Naif • Granite • Hector Sam • Janna • Jared Jymn • Kaden • Kridar • Lefty • Lightning • Maalthiir • Magesteed • Mhai Prittee • Mordak • Morin • Ottis • Red Minotaur • Ren o' the Star • Smasher • Ssslader • Swipe • Tanareve • Tanna • Taurus • Tina • Tombstone • Tyranthraxus • Wak Rathar • Whiplash
Creatures[edit | edit source]
- dwarf • elf • gnome • half-elf • halfling • human • lizardman • minotaur • orc
- Referenced only
- giant squid
Locations[edit | edit source]
- Cormyr • Moonsea • Phlan
Magic[edit | edit source]
Miscellaneous[edit | edit source]
Organizations[edit | edit source]
Religions[edit | edit source]
Appendix[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Game Credits[edit | edit source]
- Programmers: Kirk Fitzgerald, Ethan Grimes
- Artists: Joseph B. Hewitt IV, Maurine Y. Starkey
- Developers: Graeme Bayless, Bret Berry, Charles J. Kroegel Jr.
- Playtesters: Alex Hewitt, Glenn Sperry, Rick E. White
- Manual: Westwood Associates
- Art & Graphic Design: David Boudreau, Peter Gascoyne
- Desktop Publishing: David Boudreau, Peter Gascoyne
- Printing: A&a Printers and Lithographers
- Cover artwork: Clyde Caldwell
- Music Composer: Paul S. Mudra
Further Reading[edit | edit source]
- Hartley Lesser, Patricia Lesser and Kirk Lesser (July 1989). “The Role of Computers: A review of Hillsfar”. In Roger E. Moore ed. Dragon #147 (TSR, Inc.), p. 76.
- Hartley Lesser, Patricia Lesser and Kirk Lesser (August 1991). “The Role of Computers: Clue Corner: Hillsfar”. In Roger E. Moore ed. Dragon #172 (TSR, Inc.), p. 62.
Connections[edit | edit source]
Other settingsAl-Qadim: The Genie's Curse • Planescape: Torment • Ravenloft: Stone Prophet • Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession • Spelljammer: Pirates of Realmspace