The player chooses a character and starts in Hillsfar. It was one of the first RPGs that tried to combine simple hack-and-slay style with puzzles. The story was simple, with the player-character just walking around the town and its surrounding area, solving some puzzles and fighting action sequences, while trying to find treasures and weapons. Unlike most role-playing games, there aren't any randomly generated monsters to battle, combat only occurs in the arena.
Importing and exporting characters
The character from Hillsfar can be exported to Curse of the Azure Bonds. If this is done, extra content will be unlocked in the latter game.
In the game, there are various mini-games that are required to complete the quests or missions.
- Competing at the archery range.
- Exploring buildings or mazes.
- Fighting in the arena.
- Lock picking doors and chests.
- Riding a horse outside Hillsfar while avoiding obstacles.
- Arlana • Asrigir • Biswon • Brother Serson • Caratacus • Charlie • Dalma • Damin • Diane • Dodo • Eclipse • Faith • Franklin Smith • Glinda • Graeme ibn-Naif • Granite • Hector Sam • Janna • Jared Jymn • Kaden • Kridar • Lefty • Lightning • Maalthiir • Magesteed • Mhai Prittee • Mordak • Morin • Ottis • Red Minotaur • Ren o' the Star • Smasher • Ssslader • Swipe • Tanareve • Tanna • Taurus • Tina • Tombstone • Tyranthraxus • Wak Rathar • Whiplash
- bird • dwarf • elf • gnome • half-elf • halfling • horse • human • lizardman • minotaur • orc • rat
- Programmers: Kirk Fitzgerald, Ethan Grimes
- Artists: Joseph B. Hewitt IV, Maurine Y. Starkey
- Developers: Graeme Bayless, Bret Berry, Charles J. Kroegel Jr.
- Playtesters: Alex Hewitt, Glenn Sperry, Rick E. White
- Manual: Westwood Associates
- Art & Graphic Design: David Boudreau, Peter Gascoyne
- Desktop Publishing: David Boudreau, Peter Gascoyne
- Printing: A&a Printers and Lithographers
- Cover artwork: Clyde Caldwell
- Music Composer: Paul S. Mudra
- Hartley Lesser, Patricia Lesser and Kirk Lesser (July 1989). “The Role of Computers: A review of Hillsfar”. In Roger E. Moore ed. Dragon #147 (TSR, Inc.), p. 76.
- Hartley Lesser, Patricia Lesser and Kirk Lesser (August 1991). “The Role of Computers: Clue Corner: Hillsfar”. In Roger E. Moore ed. Dragon #172 (TSR, Inc.), p. 62.
Other settingsAl-Qadim: The Genie's Curse • Planescape: Torment • Ravenloft: Stone Prophet • Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession • Spelljammer: Pirates of Realmspace