Hold animal operated in the same fashion as hold person, with two exceptions. First, it did not require an arcane focus, and second, it affected animals instead of sentient beings. The subject froze in place, standing helpless. It was aware and could breathe normally but could not take any physical actions, including vocalization.
A winged creature being held could not flap its wings and, if flying, fell out of the sky. Swimming creatures could not propel themselves and risked drowning.
This spell was effective on natural and giant-sized animals but not monsters or magical creatures.
Only verbal and somatic components were necessary to cast this spell.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook, Skip Williams (July 2003). Player's Handbook 3.5 edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 241. ISBN 0-7869-2886-7.
- ↑ James Wyatt, Darrin Drader, Christopher Perkins (October 2003). Book of Exalted Deeds. (TSR, Inc), p. 55. ISBN 0-7869-3136-1.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 David "Zeb" Cook (August 1989). Player's Handbook (2nd edition). (TSR, Inc.), p. 211. ISBN 0-88038-716-5.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 David "Zeb" Cook (April 1995). Player's Handbook 2nd edition (revised). (TSR, Inc.), p. 268. ISBN 0-7869-0329-5.
- ↑ Richard Baker (1996). Player's Option: Spells & Magic. (TSR, Inc), p. 186. ISBN 0-7869-0394-5.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Gary Gygax (1978). Players Handbook 1st edition. (TSR, Inc.), p. 57. ISBN 0-9356-9601-6.