An incantatrix was a skilled practitioner of metamagic. She studied and shaped spells in their raw effects and could modify the spells of allies, magic items, and even active spells cast by another. Incantatrixes disliked extraplanar intrusions into Faerûn, having a particular fondness for magic that thwarted extraplanar beings while seeking out and destroying planar portals and gates.
The majority of incantatrixes were female, while males were rare and known as incantatars. The term metamage was sometimes used as a gender-neutral reference to both incantatrixes and incantatars, but the term is not strictly accurate. Most were skilled wizards or sorcerers as well as a small number of bards. Very few clerics or druids explored this path as they relied on extraplanar entities, which strongly conflicted with the incantatrix's methods.
With a hardy spirit, the incantatrix became immune to death magic and effects that drained life energy.
Experienced incantatrixes that mastered metamagic were extremely potent when using those effects.
- Amaryth Delbara
- Thaerarla Summercloak
- Verity Shanae
|This article is incomplete. You can help the Forgotten Realms Wiki by providing more information.|
- Eric L. Boyd and Ed Greenwood (March 1996). “The Incantatrix”. In Duane Maxwell ed. Polyhedron #117 (TSR, Inc.), p. 3–8.
- ↑ Ed Greenwood (October 1984). “The enchanting incantatrix”. In Kim Mohan ed. Dragon #90 (TSR, Inc.), pp. 8–14.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Dale Donovan (January 1998). Cult of the Dragon. (TSR, Inc), pp. 125–126. ISBN 0-7869-0709-6.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 Sean K. Reynolds, Duane Maxwell, Angel McCoy (August 2001). Magic of Faerûn. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 31–32. ISBN 0-7869-1964-7.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Richard Baker, James Wyatt (March 2004). Player's Guide to Faerûn. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 61. ISBN 0-7869-3134-5.