|This requires cleanup. Reason: It could use some subsections and needs way more links, now that all the planes have separate pages.
Please discuss this issue on the talk page and improve it if you can. This has been tagged since 21:18, June 16, 2019 (UTC).
Inner Planes is the collective term for a subset of the known planes of existence in the Great Wheel cosmology model and the World Tree cosmology model. The term refers to the placement of the planes at the center of the concentric spheres that made up the Great Wheel model. The Inner Planes were also called the elemental planes because each one was primarily made up of one type of matter. There were six major and twelve minor elemental planes and they could be reached from the Prime Material Plane by traveling through the Ethereal plane. The six major Inner planes were:
- Elemental Plane of Air
- Elemental Plane of Fire
- Elemental Plane of Earth
- Elemental Plane of Water
- Positive Energy Plane
- Negative Energy Plane
The minor of the Inner Planes could be divided into three groups of four:
- The Paraelemental Planes (or paraplanes) of Smoke, Magma, Ooze and Ice, each of them between two of the major Elemental Planes.
- The positive Quasielemental Planes (quasiplanes) of Lightning, Radiance, Mineral and Steam, each between one of the major Elemental Planes and the Positive Energy Plane.
- The negative Quasielemental Planes (quasiplanes) of Vacuum, Ash, Dust and Salt, each between one of the major Elemental Planes and the Negative Energy Plane.
- See also: Great Wheel cosmology#Inner Planes
In the World Tree cosmology model, which became popular with some scholars before the Spellplague, the Inner planes were moved to the roots of the World Tree and the more appropriate name elemental planes was used to describe them as a group, but the name "Inner Planes" was still frequently used.
- See also: World Tree cosmology#Inner Planes
- ↑ Jeff Grubb (July 1987). Manual of the Planes 1st edition. (TSR), p. 5. ISBN 0880383992.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Richard Baker, James Wyatt (March 2004). Player's Guide to Faerûn. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 139. ISBN 0-7869-3134-5.
- ↑ David "Zeb" Cook (1989). Dungeon Master's Guide 2nd edition. (TSR, Inc.), p. 132. ISBN 0-88038-729-7.
- ↑ Jeff Grubb (July 1987). Manual of the Planes 1st edition. (TSR), p. 22. ISBN 0880383992.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 Monte Cook and William W. Connors (December 7, 1998). The Inner Planes. Edited by Michele Carter and Ray Vallese. (TSR, Inc.), pp. 8–9. ISBN 0-7869-0736-3.
- ↑ Bruce R. Cordell, Ed Greenwood, Chris Sims (August 2008). Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 66. ISBN 978-0-7869-4924-3.
Prime Material plane • Feywild • Shadowfell
Transitive Planes: Astral Plane • Ethereal plane
Inner Planes: Elemental Plane of Air • Elemental Plane of Water • Elemental Plane of Earth • Elemental Plane of Fire • Elemental Chaos
Para-Elemental Planes: Frostfell • Swamp of Oblivion • Fountains of Creation • Great Conflagration
Quasi-Elemental Planes: Lightning • Radiance • Minerals • Steam • Vacuum • Ash • Dust • Salt
Outer Planes: Arcadia • Mount Celestia • Bytopia • Elysium • Beastlands • Arborea • Ysgard • Limbo •
Pandemonium • Abyss (Layers) • Carceri • Hades • Gehenna • Nine Hells • Acheron • Mechanus
Energy planes: Positive Energy plane • Negative Energy plane
Prime Material plane • Cynosure • Fugue Plane
Transitive Planes: Astral Plane • Ethereal plane • Plane of Shadow
Celestial Outer Planes: Arvandor • Brightwater • Dwarfhome • Dweomerheart • Gates of the Moon • Golden Hills • Green Fields • House of Knowledge • House of the Triad
Fiendish Outer Planes: Abyss (Layers) • Barrens of Doom and Despair • Blood Rift • Clangor • Deep Caverns • Demonweb Pits • Fated Depths • Fury's Heart • Hammergrim • Nine Hells • Nishrek • Supreme Throne
Neutral Outer Planes: Dragon Eyrie • Heliopolis • House of Nature • Jotunheim • Warrior's Rest
Inner Planes: Elemental Plane of Air • Elemental Plane of Earth • Elemental Plane of Fire • Elemental Plane of Water • Positive Energy plane • Negative Energy plane
Prime Material plane
Fundamental planes: Astral Sea • Elemental Chaos
Astral dominions: Arvandor • Banehold • Celestia • Cynosure • Deep Wilds • Demonweb Pits • Dismal Caverns • Dwarfhome • Eternal Sun • Fugue Plane • Gates of the Moon • Green Fields • House of Knowledge • Nine Hells • Nishrek • Supreme Throne • Towers of Night • Tu'narath • Warrior's Rest
Elemental realms: Abyss (Layers) • City of Brass • Cresting Spires • Fimbulwinter • Hidden Realm • Muspelheim • Root Hold • Sky Home • Steading • Thraotor • Undying Pyre • Zerthadlun
Parallel planes: Feywild • Shadowfell
Anomalous planes: Far Realm