Combat[edit | edit source]
They were capable of consuming a creature's mind and memories, subsequently entering the body and using it as a new host. Normally, it then used the host's body to lure others into its illithid creators' hunting grounds. Once in control of its host, an intellect devourer could only be removed by a protection from evil and good spell. However, this process killed the host unless the original brain was restored within a few seconds. Alternatively, a wish spell could restore the host's brain while the creature still inhabited the host, forcing it out.
Ecology[edit | edit source]
Illithids bred intellect devourers by subjecting the brain of a creature (usually a thrall) to a ritual in which the brain started sprouting legs. During this process, the newly created aberration passed through a larval form called ustilagor before reaching its final adult form.
Appendix[edit | edit source]
|This article is incomplete. You can help the Forgotten Realms Wiki by providing more information.|
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Further Reading[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford, Christopher Perkins (2014-09-30). Monster Manual 5th edition. Edited by Scott Fitzgerald Gray. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 191. ISBN 978-0786965614.
- Mike Mearls, Greg Bilsland and Robert J. Schwalb (June 15, 2010). Monster Manual 3 4th edition. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 118. ISBN 0786954902.
- Bruce R. Cordell (April 2004). Expanded Psionics Handbook. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 202–203. ISBN 0-7869-3301-1.
- Steve Winter (1991). The Complete Psionics Handbook. (TSR, Inc.), p. 117. ISBN 1-56076-054-0.
- Doug Stewart (June 1993). Monstrous Manual. (TSR, Inc), p. 207. ISBN 1-5607-6619-0.
- Gary Gygax (December 1977). Monster Manual, 1st edition. (TSR, Inc), p. 54. ISBN 0-9356-9600-8.
- Kevin Baase, Eric Jansing, Oliver Frank, and Bill Halliar (November 2005). “Monsters of the Mind – Minions of the Mindflayers”. In Erik Mona ed. Dragon #337 (Paizo Publishing, LLC), pp. 34–35.
- Christopher Perkins, James Haeck, James Introcaso, Adam Lee, Matthew Sernett (September 2018). Waterdeep: Dragon Heist. Edited by . (Wizards of the Coast), p. 111. ISBN 978-0-7869-6625-7.
- (November 2018). Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage. Edited by . (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 13, 16, 21, 26, 33, 55–56. ISBN 978-0-7869-6626-4.
Connections[edit | edit source]
Brainstealer dragon • Gnome ceremorph • Gnome squidling • Mindwitness • Mozgriken • Tzakandi • Uchuulon • Urophion
Brain golem • Cranium rat • Nyraala golem • Illithidae • Illithocyte • Intellect devourer • Mind worm • Neothelid • Nerve swimmer • Oblex • Oortling • Ustilagor