When the wielder threw it and spoke a command word, the weapon transformed into a bolt of lightning. It could be thrown up to 120 feet (37 meters). Each creature in the path of the target was affected, unless they managed to dodge the bolt. The lightning bolt turned back into a javelin when striking the target, and delivered a high amount of lightning damage.
Several adventurers wielded such an item. The more well-known of them included:
- Thunderstorm, a powerful human nomad.
- Vhazror, an orc barbarian.
- Raulothim, an ancient emerald dragon who lived on the isle of Axard.
- Video games
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford, Christopher Perkins, James Wyatt (2014). Dungeon Master's Guide 5th edition. (Wizards of the Coast). ISBN 978-0786965622.
- ↑ DreamForge Intertainment, Inc. (1994). Designed by John McGirk. Menzoberranzan. Strategic Simulations, Inc.
- ↑ Christopher Perkins (September 2005). Sons of Gruumsh. (Wizards of the Coast). ISBN 0-7869-3698-3.
- ↑ Ed Greenwood (November 1998). “Wyrms of the North: Raulothim”. In Dave Gross ed. Dragon #253 (TSR, Inc.), p. 83.