A kelpie was a creature that resembled a mass of seaweed. It could alter its form to appear as a woman, a hippocampus, or a green horse, then charm a person into thinking it was in trouble and needed rescuing. Upon the person attempting to rescue it, the kelpie grappled the victim and held it in the water until it drowned.
Between -215 DR and 750 DR, the kelpie population within Serôs nearly went extinct due to over-harvesting by the realm's merfolk. Eventually their population recovered along the Sea of Fallen Stars's coastal shallows.
In Serôs the kelpies were thought to fill important niche in the sea's ecosystem as their natural scent acted as a repellent to sharks. Hunters would often seek them out in hopes of gaining some of that protection for themselves.
|This article is a stub. You can help the Forgotten Realms Wiki by expanding it.|
- Card Games
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Kim Mohan, Mike Mearls (April 2017). Tales from the Yawning Portal. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 238. ISBN 978-0786966097.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Eric Cagle, Jesse Decker, James Jacobs, Erik Mona, Matthew Sernett, Chris Thomasson, and James Wyatt (April 2003). Fiend Folio. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 113. ISBN 0-7869-2780-1.
- ↑ Don Turnbull (1981). Fiend Folio. (TSR Hobbies), p. 55. ISBN 0-9356-9621-0.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Steven E. Schend (1999). Sea of Fallen Stars. (TSR, Inc), pp. 43, 65. ISBN 0-7869-1393-2.
- ↑ Elaine Cunningham (March 2003). Tangled Webs. (Wizards of the Coast). ISBN 0-7869-2959-6.
- ↑ Steven E. Schend (1999). Sea of Fallen Stars. (TSR, Inc), p. 127. ISBN 0-7869-1393-2.
- ↑ Douglas Niles (August 1991). “Maztica Alive”. Maztica Campaign Set (TSR, Inc.), p. 63. ISBN 1-5607-6084-2.