FANDOM


Kelubars (pronounced: /ˈkɛljbɑːrzKEL-yoo-barz[4]) held the middle ranks of the demodands.[3]

DescriptionEdit

A kelubar was about 8ft. high but far bigger specimens existed too. Its body was fat, at least in part due to their lifestyles, and constantly oozed a pale green, stinking, acididc substance.[3]

They had bat-like wings of about 18ft. (5.5m) wingspan, that allowed them to fly twice as fast as they moved on land.[3]

PersonalityEdit

A kelubar's primary personality trait was its desire for subservient creatures.[3]

Like every other kind of demodand, they thought of themselves as the jailors and wardens of the entire population of Carceri and forced their idea of order onto them. They made no distinction between creatures like petitioners, who belonged in the Tarterian Depths, and others like travellers.[2]

They were quite peaceful regarding combat preferring talking to fighting but were always ready to enter one. For example, when attacked by surprise, they tried first to negotiate instead to fight but this negotiation doubled as a delay maneuver and a chance for the kelubar to glimpse weaknesses in its opponents.[2]

This all didn't mean that kelubars were pleasant beings, they were in fact the opposite and deeply unpleasant to converse with.[3]

CombatEdit

A kelubar had sharp claws and a mouth, which it used to bite its enemies.[3]

Physical abilitiesEdit

As mentioned above, a kelubar's body secreted a stinking, acidic substance. The smell of this substance was so bad that it nauseated other creatures within 30ft. (9.1m) and for 10 minutes once they got out of such an area. The slime made their claws corrosive to the touch, even more so on a critical strike.[3]

The kelubars could undergo a lengthy and painful process of self-liquefaction into the secretion they most frequently exuded. These pools of tar and slime could be bottled and stored for centuries as a kind of "instant army".[1]

They could backstab their enemies like rogues and like them, they could react to attacks before their senses should allow it.[5]

A kelubar was also completely immune to poison, acid, cold and fire. They had protection against non-magical physical attacks and strong defences against magic.[6]

As mentioned above, kelubars preferred negotiating over fighting. They had a prospensity for persuading, lying and seeing through people.[5]

Magical abilitiesEdit

Kelubars could cast detect magic, clairaudience/clairvoyance, fear, invisibility, Melf's acid arrow, spider climb and tongues as often as they wanted, fog cloud and ray of enfeeblement three times per day and acid fog and dispel magic twice per day.[3]

Another magical ability they had was the ability to summon one to six farastus or one or two other kelubars once per day, though this had only a 60% chance of success for the former and a 40% chance for the latter.[3]

It was impossible to impede the movements of a kelubar for they were under a constant freedom of movement effect.[2]

SocietyEdit

Kelubars worked as bureaucrats among the demodands, the (self-appointed) wardens of the Red Prison. They led squads, a gathering of six to ten farastus. They loathed the farastus for their supposed responsibility for imprisoning the entire demodand species onto Carceri, but worked as the intermediaries between the farastus and the shators.[7]

There were a number of reasons, why one could be found on other planes like Prime Material Plane. One was as bounty hunters to bring back escapees from Carceri.[6]

They were servants of Vhaeraun, a drow god from Carceri and were sent by him to the Toril[8]

They were also found on the Supreme Throne, the realm of the mad god Cyric.[9]

HistoryEdit

Kelubars loathed the farastus because they were somehow responsible for the imprisonment of the entire demodand race on Carceri from another plane.[10]

AppendixEdit

ReferencesEdit

  1. 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Allen Varney, ed. (June 1994). Planescape Monstrous Compendium Appendix. (TSR, Inc.), p. 42. ISBN 978-1560768623.
  2. 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Eric Cagle, Jesse Decker, James Jacobs, Erik Mona, Matthew Sernett, Chris Thomasson, and James Wyatt (April 2003). Fiend Folio. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 42, 44. ISBN 0-7869-2780-1.
  3. 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 3.11 3.12 3.13 Eric Cagle, Jesse Decker, James Jacobs, Erik Mona, Matthew Sernett, Chris Thomasson, and James Wyatt (April 2003). Fiend Folio. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 44. ISBN 0-7869-2780-1.
  4. Frank Mentzer (January 1985). “Ay pronunseeAYshun gyd”. In Kim Mohan ed. Dragon #93 (TSR, Inc.), p. 26.
  5. 5.0 5.1 Eric Cagle, Jesse Decker, James Jacobs, Erik Mona, Matthew Sernett, Chris Thomasson, and James Wyatt (April 2003). Fiend Folio. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 44–45. ISBN 0-7869-2780-1.
  6. 6.0 6.1 Eric Cagle, Jesse Decker, James Jacobs, Erik Mona, Matthew Sernett, Chris Thomasson, and James Wyatt (April 2003). Fiend Folio. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 42. ISBN 0-7869-2780-1.
  7. Eric Cagle, Jesse Decker, James Jacobs, Erik Mona, Matthew Sernett, Chris Thomasson, and James Wyatt (April 2003). Fiend Folio. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 44–45. ISBN 0-7869-2780-1.
  8. Eric L. Boyd (1998). Demihuman Deities. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 36–37. ISBN 0-7869-1239-1.
  9. Richard Baker, James Wyatt (March 2004). Player's Guide to Faerûn. (Wizards of the Coast), p. 163. ISBN 0-7869-3134-5.
  10. Eric Cagle, Jesse Decker, James Jacobs, Erik Mona, Matthew Sernett, Chris Thomasson, and James Wyatt (April 2003). Fiend Folio. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 42–43. ISBN 0-7869-2780-1.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.