Ki-rins (pronounced: /kiˈrɪnz/ kee-RINZ or: /kaɪˈrɪnz/ ky-RINZ) were noble creatures native to the celestial planes, who either worked for good-aligned deities in direct opposition to the forces of evil or served as protectors of large areas of the mortal world. They were regarded as harbingers of good fortune, and days when a ki-rin was sighted were considered blessed.
A ki-rin was similar to a unicorn in some respects, as it was a noble equine creature with a single horn. It had a stag-like body, but it was covered in golden scales instead of fur. Its horn and hooves were pinkish in color, and it had a thick golden mane of hair. Its eyes were deep violet.
Ki-rins could fly without wings, and they had several other powerful spell-like innate abilities, including the ability to read the minds of those around them. They were extremely resistant to magic.
Ki-rins almost always avoided combat. If forced to fight, they would try to render their opponents unconscious.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Doug Stewart (June 1993). Monstrous Manual. (TSR, Inc), p. 212. ISBN 1-5607-6619-0.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Wizards RPG Team (2016). Volo's Guide to Monsters. (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 163–164. ISBN 978-0786966011.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.7 3.8 James Wyatt (October 2001). Oriental Adventures (3rd edition). (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 170–171. ISBN 0-7869-2015-7.
- ↑ Gary Gygax (December 1977). Monster Manual, 1st edition. (TSR, Inc), p. 57. ISBN 0-9356-9600-8.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Carl Sargent (May 1992). Monster Mythology. (TSR, Inc), p. 90. ISBN 1-5607-6362-0.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Frank Mentzer (January 1985). “Ay pronunseeAYshun gyd”. In Kim Mohan ed. Dragon #93 (TSR, Inc.), p. 26.
(any good alignment)
Arcadian avenger • Asura • Bariaur • Couatl • Einheriar • Foo creature (Foo dog • Foo lion) • Hollyphant • Ki-rin • Lillend • Moon dog • Pegasus • Shirokinukatsukami • Unicorn (Celestial charger)
Aasimar (Deva) • Half-celestial