Li lungs were physically distinguished by their enormous size, up to 120 feet (36 meters) in length. Unlike most dragons, they lacked scales, and instead were covered in a coarse black fur the texture of metal wire. Only hatchlings had scales, usually light green in color. As they grew older, the scales were shed and replaced with fur; usually by the time a li lung was a juvenile, the scales were completely gone. A li lung had an unusual appearance. Its body and tail resembled that of a lion, yet it had a face similar to a humanoid. Its tail was adorned with colorful feathers similar to a peacock. The li lung was the only lung dragon with wings.
They tried to avoid combat, choosing to bury themselves in the earth until an attacker gave up and left. When forced to defend themselves, a li lung would use their earthquake ability to bury their attacker, and would engage in melee combat using their claws and teeth. A li lung would roar continuously while attacking, which sounded like metal scraping on stone. Attackers would be near-deafened by this. While airborne, a li lung was very maneuverable no matter their size, and it was able to perform wing-over maneuvers, allowing them to make a turn of 120 to 140 degrees.
Li lungs had a natural immunity to earthquakes and had innate magical abilities, each gained as they grew older. Three time a day, a mature li lung could use move earth, stone shape, and wall of stone. Once a day, a mature li lung could use disintegrate and flesh to stone.
A li lung's diet consisted of earth, stone, and minerals. They were particularly fond of consuming precious metals such as gold and silver. Li lungs made their home in labyrinthine caverns deep underground, far from civilization. 
In the 1350s DR, several li lung laired in the Satoyama mountains on the island of Shinkoku in Kozakura. They had befriended Lady Sato Kitashi by 1357 DR. Dragon-hunters usually steered clear of these li lung—wu jen warned that their earthquake power might also awaken the great Earth Dragon that slumbered beneath Shinkoku, which would be catastrophic for all.
- Card Games
- James Wyatt (October 2001). Oriental Adventures (3rd edition). (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 156–157. ISBN 0-7869-2015-7.
- David Cook, Steve Winter, and Jon Pickens (1989). Monstrous Compendium Volume Three Forgotten Realms Appendix (MC3). (TSR, Inc), p. 39. ISBN 0-88038-769-6.
- Don Turnbull (1981). Fiend Folio. (TSR Hobbies), p. 28. ISBN 0-9356-9621-0.
- James Wyatt (October 2001). Oriental Adventures (3rd edition). (Wizards of the Coast), p. 250. ISBN 0-7869-2015-7.
- Gary Gygax, David Cook, and François Marcela-Froideval (1985). Oriental Adventures. (TSR, Inc), p. 118. ISBN 0-8803-8099-3.
- Mike Pondsmith, Jay Batista, Rick Swan, John Nephew, Deborah Christian (1988). Kara-Tur: The Eastern Realms (Volume II). (TSR, Inc), p. 138. ISBN 0-88038-608-8.
- Mike Pondsmith, Jay Batista, Rick Swan, John Nephew, Deborah Christian (1988). Kara-Tur: The Eastern Realms (Volume II). (TSR, Inc), p. 154. ISBN 0-88038-608-8.
Chromatic dragons: Red • Black • Blue • Green • White • Brown • Gray • Purple • Yellow
Gem dragons: Amber • Amethyst • Emerald • Sapphire • Topaz • Crystal • Obsidian
Lung dragons: Chiang lung • Li lung • Lung wang • Pan lung • Shen lung • T'ien lung • Tun mi lung • Yu lung
Planar dragons: Astral • Battle • Chaos • Ethereal • Faerie • Howling • Mirage • Oceanus • Pyroclastic • Radiant • Rust • Shadow • Styx • Tarterian
Epic dragons: Force • Prismatic
Catastrophic dragons: Volcanic
Miscellaneous dragons: Dzalmus • Mist • Radiant • Rattelyr • Song • Vishap
Draconic transformations: Air • Ascendant
Linnorms: Corpse tearer • Dread • Stygian
Drakes: Ambush • Black firedrake • Dragonne • Elemental (Fire • Ice • Smoke • Water) • Felldrake (Crested • Spitting) • Greater • Guard • Mind • Portal • Rage • Space • Vulture
Dragonbloods: Draconic creature • Dragonborn of Bahamut • Dragonspawn
Drow-dragon (shadow) • Drow-dragon (deep) • Half-dragon • Kobold (Dragonwrought • Urd) • Weredragon • Zar'ithra • Zekyl
Undead dragons: Dracolich • Dragonwight • Hoarder • Rathrea • Vampiric